Chapter 1

Eve

  BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!
I swear that is the worst sound in the world─the sound of an alarm going off. After my alarm had been ringing for almost a minute, I was finally able to gain enough willpower to get up and turn it off, meaning it was time to start my day.
      Ugh, I hate mornings. And Mondays. And Monday mornings. Oh well, I guess it can’t be helped. With my Long, dirty blonde hair still wet from last night’s shower, I headed to my bathroom to brush my teeth. Once I returned from the bathroom, I started changing into the outfit I picked out for myself the night before: a simple, black tank paired with gray sweatpants and my pair of black converse.  After I was dressed, I put on some makeup and threw on my favorite black hoodie before heading downstairs to grab some breakfast.
      As I progressed toward the kitchen from my room, I started to hear voices coming from the kitchen.
      “...he doesn’t have anywhere else to go.” I immediately recognized the voice as Beta Joshua’s. Quietly, I snuck closer to where the voices were coming from.
      “No, it's too risky. We already have Eve living here. I don’t want to draw the Hunters’ attention here.  It’s not worth the risk, and it could endanger the pack further. I don’t want to risk the pack’s safety for one boy.” Just like with the first, I recognized the second voice: it was Alpha Byron.
      Too interested in what I was hearing, I didn’t notice the presence coming up from behind me, “It’s rude to eavesdrop.” I heard an unfamiliar voice whisper in my ear. Judging by the voice, it was a male about my age─seventeen.
      I slowly turned around to face him.
      He was tall, with long legs and tanned skin. He was wearing a pair of sweatpants paired with a black t-shirt, but what shocked me the most were his eyes. On the surface, they were a dark brown, almost black. Below that, I could see that his wolf was thinking the same as mine.
      Mate.
      “Well, if I’m eavesdropping, what are you doing here? I don't recall ever seeing you around before.”
      “I just joined your pack. I will be living here, in the packhouse.”
      No. This can’t be happening.
      “Eve?” It was Beta Joshua.
      Shit, I forgot all about Alpha and Beta. “Good morning, Beta Joshua.” I looked over his shoulder and nodded my head in greeting, “Alpha Byron.”
“Good morning to you as well, Eve.” Alpha Byron replied. “I must head up to my office. There is a lot of work that needs to be done today. Joshua, I expect you to fill Eve in on the new member.”
“Yes, Alpha,” Beta Joshua replied in a submissive tone.
Alpha Byron exited upstairs and headed straight to his office, shutting the door behind him.
“I see you’ve met the latest addition to the pack, Eve.”
“Yes, Beta, I wasn’t aware we were expecting a new member, nor did I know he would be joining us here at the packhouse.”
Beta Joshua got a nervous look on his face as he began to explain, “Well, you see, Alec here comes from a very similar situation to yours. Both of his parents were recently killed by Hunters. He has come to our pack to seek refuge. This next piece of information I am about to share with you is only known to me and Alpha Byron: Alec and his parents were rogues─they had no pack. Thankfully, Alec has been educated by his late parents about pack dynamics, so it shouldn’t be too difficult for him to fit in here. Alpha Byron has put you in charge of assisting Alec in getting accustomed to pack life; he has also signed Alec up for all of your classes at school for you to better keep an eye on him.”
The entire time Beta Joshua was explaining all of this to me, Alec kept looking at me─almost like he was worried about what I would think about him after learning his backstory.
“Understood. The information you gave me about his family will stay between us, and I will show him the ropes of being in a pack,” I stated. Secretly, though, on the inside, my wolf and I were both wigging out.  Me, because of my past trauma regarding Hunters and the fact that Alec had experienced something similar to myself; whereas, my wolf was shocked we had found our mate.
Our mate! She said to me in excitement, We found him. He is ours!
Although I was also extremely excited about this development, I was given a mission: keep an eye on Alec and get him acquainted with pack life. I would have to deal with one thing at a time. First up: breakfast.
After Beta Joshua headed to his office, I headed into the kitchen and  Alec followed suit. I asked him if he would like anything.
“Sure. What is there?” he replied, sitting at the kitchen table.
“Eggs, cereal, oatmeal, bacon, sausage, and toast.”
“I’ll just have some toast,” he answered.
“Toast. Got it.”
     As I fixed him and gave him some toast, I couldn’t help but notice the way he stared at me.
     “Enjoying the view?” I asked, sarcastically.
     “Yes, actually, very much so,” he replied, making my blood boil in annoyance and something else.
     I rolled my eyes before giving him his toast and sitting down next to him.
     “So, you want to talk about it?” he asked, his mouth full of toast.
     “Talk about what?”
     “I know you felt what I felt. You are mine.”
     My wolf couldn’t resist, she broke through, “You are mine,” she growled. With my wolf still in control, she started kissing him. He returned the kiss, pulling me onto his lap. Before the kiss could deepen though, I took back control and pushed away. “W-we should get going now, or we’ll be late for class. I’ll drive.”
     I showed him to the garage and we got into my car: an old, black four-seater pick-up truck that was donated to the packhouse and given to me by Alpha Byron when I turned sixteen and headed to school.

A/N - I am really excited about what I have planned for this story, and I hope you are, too! Thank you to all of my lovely readers. Please leave comments letting me know your feedback on my workit helps so much!