Chapter 4

After the humans let the mutants out in the open, some of the mutants thought it was a bad idea, they didn't believe that the human fully allowed mutant to live together. To them, they were only trying to protect the mutants but by doing harm, yet they could not see that. The leader of the group is named Lance with the power of pain illusion, to bring pain and then kill his opponent if he wanted to. The mutants that were on his side joined him and pledged their loyalty to him. 

   Now that’s who made the whole shark sense come to play, one of Lance’s men who had the power of illusions. He made the shark look and act real. So real. Midnight and Terria’s wounds were never real. They’re both fine. 

   Lance stood in front of the friends and saw Terria, the mutant he’s been looking for “Hello there Miss Racine, my name is Lance.” Midnight knew who he was, he and Lance were like brothers, until the day Midnight found Terria and Lance promised him that he would get his revenge. By taking the one thing he loves most. “You stay away from her!” Midnight warned as he got into a protecting stance in front of Terria with his fists on fire. “Midnight Cartervill… how’s your mother?” Midnight got furious, he was about to barbecue Lance but Terria grabbed his hand to cool it. He looks at her as she shakes her head. “Aww, adorable… I hate to break it to you Terrakima but he’s not the family you know.” 

   “What are you talking about?” Terria asks

   “Do you know your paren--” 

   “SHUT UP!!” Midnight didn’t want the secret to get out, he didn’t want his fear to be real. But Terria wanted to know what happened, who her family was “Wait...! Who were my parents?” Lance smirks but answers, “Your parents were Robert and Mary Racine, they were humans, yet you were not. You were only two when they died”

   “How did they die?”

   “They died by you!” Terria couldn’t believe what she was hearing, it couldn’t be true. Midnight looks down to the side and Terria saw the guilt on his face, but she still doesn’t believe it “No… I--It’s not true” Lance motioned one of his men to show what happened that night, how her mother died by her ice, and how her father killed himself because of his child. Terria looks back at Midnight and saw what the very expression of guilt written on his face, “You knew… didn’t you?”

Midnight didn’t respond, Linda and Amaro watched in sadness and shock, “DIDN’T YOU!!?”

   “YES!!...... yes, I knew” Midnight replied back

   “And you didn’t tell me? Why? I grew up living a lie! You told me that my parents were on a trip and that they’ll come back… BUT YOU LIED TO ME!!” 

   “It was for your own good!” 

   “Screw you for my own good!!” Terria was now on the verge of tears. Now knowing the truth, she feels nothing but betrayal.

   Lance knew this argument would happen and it was going perfectly. “Terria…” Lance offered his hand for her to take and the friends of Terria got scared, “Come with me... I can give you life without lies, give you the family you deserve.” That sentence echoed in Terria’s mind, she looks at the hand then at Lance, then the unexpected happened……. She took Lance’s hand. Midnight tried to get to her, calling her name but Terria only let go of Lance’s hand to create spikes of ice, almost stabbing her friends they were all surprised by this, they never thought their best friend would turn on them. Terria makes eye contact with Midnight as tears went down her face, “I thought you cared for me…. No, you only care about yourself… the real Midnight Cartervill would have told me the truth!” Terria walks away taking Lance’s hand again, one of the mutants created a portal as they all went in, a few at a time.  

   “TERRIA NO!!” Midnight was about to go after them but Linda shifted herself to a huge snake and wrapped herself around Midnight. But he won’t give up, Midnight burnt Linda with his hands. As Linda lets go yelping in pain, Midnight ran after the portal, but it’s closing as the last mutant went in. He reaches his hand out to the portal yet it closed on him, “No!” He lays there, in the sand, regretting everything as hot tears went down his face. 

   His fear came true…. He lost his best friend… to his enemy.