Epilogue

Both Lilith and David sat back down, having stood to let the final latecomers of their fellow audience members past in the seating row. The lights were down and 'Sunflower' began to sound through the surrounding speakers.

It was a good song. It had been played everywhere the past few weeks, but never had Lilith felt so odd on hearing it.

She shifted slightly. Perhaps it was just general nausea or the fact that she hadn't heard it since-

——

Music, and a song: "Will You Follow Me Into the Dark" by Klergy and Mindy Jones

——

She was on a tree lined road. A narrow, winding road, looking directly at two, crashed cars.

It must have been seconds after the head on collision. There was a man in a suit in the SUV. He was sat, slumped back, unmoving. Head tilted back ever so slightly, though it seemed part of his skull itself had caved in.

She looked away from the suited man.

Instead, Lilith began towards the distantly familiar, silver Skoda. In it, she saw herself. Sat up still, just as the man had been.

It seemed that the airbags had failed in both cars. She didn't know why or how and nor did she care.

This is where it all ended for her.

Or where it all began.

Even when the scene disintegrated suddenly, the bright, bright light of the screen ahead of her, glaring through the darkness, shook Lilith to her core.

But the movie was still playing, she finally realised. She was still exactly where she had been a moment ago. There was no shattered glass, no blood, no pain. She was safe and holding David's hand, which she gripped tighter as she settled back into reality. Feeling the pressure returned, she felt herself sink back a little further into her seat, resting her head back and missing seconds more of the film to close her eyes.

This was the future.

Safety, comfort and hope. A small smile found her lips. Healing.

Or so she hoped.