Introduction: SECOND CHANCE

Aperture Science. A common subject of almost every conversation since the 1940s, both amongst children and grown ups whose interest was in any of the fields of science. If you've never heard of Aperture, you're either from another planet, or a newborn baby that only knows how to laugh and cry. Everybody knows about this company! Everybody knows about its jump to the top. Everybody is familiar with the story of Cave Johnson: a mere seller of shower curtains who is now the famous CEO of one of the biggest and most successful scientific companies in the world, currently competing with the supposed champion, Black Mesa. People from all around the world would come to Michigan just to try and get a job in Aperture. Everybody seems to like the idea of being able to work with various gels that defy the laws of physics, chemicals, robots and, above all, portals. That, or they like the idea of bragging about having a job in such a respected, successful and widely known company.

Although, there is still a mass of people who don't like Aperture. Contrary to popular beliefs, not all of these Aperture-haters are science deniers, travelling-faster-than-light deniers or Black Mesa employees. Some of them, although a very small number of them, even worked in the same company that they hated. Oftentimes they'd quit their jobs once their hatred reached their limits, or would get fired if any of their anti-Aperture claims reached Cave's ears. However, there was one Aperture employee who hated their working environment, yet didn't want to quit or be fired. 

Robin Redhill, a young individual professionalised in physics and engineering, used to be proud of being accepted as an Aperture employee. That is, until after three weeks of having this job when Robin no longer felt like an engineer. They felt more like a janitor. A cleaner. A human Roomba, if you will. They didn't understand how a smaller company, such as the one that they used to work for, could create a much safer and more comfortable working environment than the company that is being talked about and praised on a daily basis. Nevertheless, it was the harsh truth about Aperture that they wish they'd known sooner. 

Early mornings were usually the quietest. The three guys who owned the office that they worked at would spend this time in a room that was forbidden for Robin. Robin was left alone in the main room doing nothing more than cleaning the floors. It was just them, the broom, the large room and the very rhythmic, perfectly timed ticking of a small clock in the office. The clock wasn't even moving. It's been broken ever since they knew about it. And yet, it somehow never stopped ticking.

However, every time Robin would finally feel relaxed and carefree, their coworkers had to barge in and ruin the peaceful mood they worked so hard to achieve. And this morning was no exception. The doors of the office open in a loud bang and in comes a tall, middle-aged man, formally dressed in clothes of all the shades of grey and, of course, a white lab coat on top of it all. With his dark hair and pale skin with a few patches of an even paler skin, one would assume he came from one of those old-school movies where colour doesn't exist. Still, he marches through the room with pride, carrying an old rusted toolbox which seems to be heavy even for him. He quickly makes his way to where Robin is currently sweeping the floor and sets the toolbox on the closest table. As he takes a quick sigh of relief, he turns his almost completely black eyes to Robin who had purposely turned their back on him as soon as he entered the room.

"Robin.", the man's strict voice storms across the room, abruptly breaking the comfortable silence. 

Robin responds with a frustrated sigh before it turns into a sarcastically upbeat voice. "Hendrix! Good morning!". 

Hendrix sounds offended. "How many times do I have to tell you - call me by my last name!" 

Robin couldn't believe their ears. "My deepest apologies... Mr. Whittmann", they barely utter. 

Hendrix narrows his eyes. His rimless glasses made them look even smaller than they are. "How are you still not done cleaning?", he demands. 

"Because... I'm not a janitor??", answered Robin.