Ch. 10.2 - The Aftermath

[Jesse's POV]

When I and Reuben went inside, everyone else had already made themselves comfortable in our small cave. Axel and Olivia are looking after Petra in one corner of the room, Lukas is leaning on a nearby wall, and Soren and Ellegaard are trying to get Gabriel back to his senses. Reuben also found a place and is playing with the horses near the entrance.

Even though we finally caught a break, no one seemed to be able to rest properly, which I understand why but being the unofficial 'leader', I at least wanted to try and make everyone feel a little bit better. I approach Gabriel's group.

Soren: "Gabriel! It really is you!"

Ellegaard: "Oh! I knew if anybody could outrun death, it would be you!"

Gabriel: "What? Who are you? Do I know you?"

Ellegaard: "It's me! Ellegaard! Come on!" Gabriel nervously backed away.

Soren: "Old friend, don't you recognize us? I'm Soren, your friend! Don't you remember? We've known each other for such a long time!"

Jesse: "Just give him some space for now. He may still come out of it."

Soren: "B-But why? What happened to him to act this way?"

Jesse: "I'm not really sure myself; the wither storm gave him some type of amnesia; it's like he can't remember anything before he came back. Actually, it was everyone who got eaten by the storm that started acting like that." Soren sighs.

Soren: "What a terrible turn of events." I turn back to Gabriel.

Jesse: "Hey, how are you feeling?"

Gabriel: "I... I'm afraid I don't feel much like myself at the moment. You said my name is Gabriel, but for some reason, I can't remember that. All my memories feel so... foggy."

Jesse: "Well, if it's giving you a headache, then you should stop thinking too hard about it."

Gabriel: "That's not what's worrying me, though. What bothers me is the fact that I myself have no idea who I am! And then I have these 2 people, who I don't know, who keep insisting I'm their best friend and 'reminding' me of completely foreign memories! It's like they're talking as if they mistook me for another person."

Ellegaard: "Gabriel..."

Gabriel: "I-I don't know what to do... I don't know how to feel about when you expect me to be this person I don't know."

Jesse: "Gabriel, I think you should just rest for a while."

Gabriel: "But it's hard to rest when you're occupied with thoughts like mine."

Jesse: "Well, what else am I supposed to do?!"

Gabriel: "You! What was your name?"

Jesse: "Um, Jesse?"

Gabriel: "Jesse! You're the one who rescued me. Tell me, please, what is going on? What happened to me before you rescued me?"

Jesse: "Well, as far as I know, you were caught and eaten by this Wither Storm, you know, that thing we just escaped from."

Gabriel: "How long was I in there?" Gabriel inquired.

Jesse: "You were trapped for quite a while. Around 3 days or so? Long enough that it did this to you." Gabriel looked at me with frightened and exhausted eyes.

Gabriel: "It felt like an eternity." The cave went silent for a short while until Petra suddenly fell ill again.

Petra: "W-Whoa!" Axel and Olivia caught her before she fell to the ground.