23.

Mias POV:
We walked home in silence. Well, I did. Arthur spent the walk lecturing me about how stupid it was to aim a gun at my own head, let alone pull the trigger.

The sun was coming up, and so I was sure I'd only sleep for a few hours before I got up for the day. I was trying my best to act neutral, but I was upset.

My walls came up as soon as those words slipped from Tommy's mouth, and I couldn't reason with him anymore. I wanted to be the one to walk away before I was walked away from. It's how it had always been.

'Now I don't know what the fuck he meant, but I'm sure he didn't mean no harm.' Arthur said, unlocking the door to my house and leading, with a gun, scoping the living room before allowing me in.

'Exactly. You have no idea, Arthur.' I said, a little harshly.

He put the gun down at his side and sighed, opening his arms and letting me in for a hug. I closed my eyes and fought back the tears once more. I was not to cry. No matter how much I wanted to.

'I can't tell if you're sad because you like him, or you're mad because he pulled the wool over your eyes.' He said, finally.

'Both, mainly the first one.' I mumbled, sitting down on the sofa and holding my head in my hands, finally having time to process what had just happened.

'Look, I'm gonna have to go back there and make sure Tom's not murdered anyone, but I'll call Finn from your house phone and ask him to come watch you.' He said, walking across the room.

'No. That poor boy gets stuck with me way too often. His job is not to protect me. He's got his own life. I'll be fine by myself.' I said, firmly.

Arthur shook his head slowly, picking up the phone and dialling home anyway. I knew he'd not send for Finn. We both wanted him to rest. I just hoped it wasn't Isaiah, for everyone's sake.

He was protective of this whole fucked up family, including me. And I'm sure John would try and keep the truth about me and Tommy from everyone for as long as possible.

I zoned out whilst he was on the phone, my eyes dropping as I began to fall asleep. The night had caught up to me, and I knew I needed to sleep now or I'd not all.

'Come on, get into bed at least.' Arthur sighed, putting down the phone.

'I don't want to move.' I yawned.

I saw him look between me, the phone, and the door, before picking me up, carrying me to my bedroom and kicking open the door, laying me softly down on my bed and pulling the duvet over me.

'Are you going soft, Arthur?' I teased, my eyes still closed.

'Yeah yeah, I'll roll you from this fucking bed in a second.' He responded, not amused at all.

'Thank you, for bringing me home, Arthur. But I'd like to stay away from Tommy for as long as possible. You don't need to monitor me constantly.' I responded.

The front door opened and closed, and he clasped his hands together.

'That'll be Isaiah. Here to monitor you constantly.' He said, mocking me.

'Be careful, okay? I'll see you soon.' Arthur said, leaning down to squeeze my hand.

'You too.' I yawned, letting myself slip into the sleep I truly deserved.

————————————————————————
I was away from Tommy for two weeks, and i had two weeks of sleep where nobody woke me up. The sounds of shouting or cash being thrown around downstairs in the betting shop didn't ring through my ears. I woke up in silence.