Boruto's Birthday

Boruto was released from the hospital the morning of his birthday. When he arrived at the house him and Kawaki shared with Eida and Daemon, Mitsuki was waiting, a party hat on his head, making googly eyes at Eida.

"Mitsuki?"

"Happy birthday, Boruto."

"You shouldn't be in here, what if I--"

"Then we'll stop you," said Kawaki, arms folded over his chest. "I thought you would come here instead of going home... Your mom and sister prepared a cake for you."

Boruto's eyes began to water. His bangs hid his face. "Thanks guys."

"Shikadai and his dad promised to come over here and help me watch Eida and Daemon so you could have a proper party. Is Sarada out of the hospital yet?"

Boruto looked off to the side. "I don't know."

"You didn't go see her?"

When his response was quiet, Kawaki practically rolled his eyes. "You're not going to hurt her. Stop being such a wuss..."

"Fine. I'll go... Mitsuki, wanna come?"

His snake eyed friend's gaze lingered on Eida as he gave his reply. "I'll stay here for a while. See you at your house, Boruto."

He sighed and walked out the door, heading towards the hospital. Should I get her flowers? What am I supposed to do... I feel... Awkward... I'll just go.

Upon entry, Sakura noticed him. "Boruto, looking for Sarada?"

"Hm? Oh... Yeah..."

"She's already at the hokage's office helping him sort out paperwork."

I guess she doesn't want to see me, he thought, and gave Sakura a somewhat saddened smile before turning away. "Thanks."

"I'll be by for your birthday celebration once I get off work! Himawari said your cake is going to be delicious!"

Boruto wandered through the streets, this time paying attention to the slight destruction caused by the mini ten tails. He had seen other injured people in the hospital, but thankfully, it wasn't nearly as bad as when Momoshiki decided to interrupt the chuunin exams. But... for some reason, he felt like he was being crushed by a weight. What if being there is a burden for her? She wanted to come to fight, not to... keep me from going berserk... What does she see me as?

When he finally arrived home, he was immediately bear hugged by his little sister. Seeing her happy to see him brightened his gloomy mood, albeit ever so slightly.

"Happy birthday, Onii-chan! Guess what?"

He smiled and spun her around. "What?"

"I'm making your cake right now! It's going to be really good, so just wait up in your room."

"Alright." He climbed the stairs, opened the door to his room, and sat in his chair. When he leaned back, he let his bangs fall to the sides, eyes closed. It would be the same as last year. Except this year, both his dad and Sarada wouldn't make it.

Why did he have to have birthdays? They only served as a reminder that certain people didn't like him enough to take time out of their busy schedules for him. As thankful as he was to those that did show up... It was no different than any other day.

Suddenly, there was a light knock on his door. It reminded him of... Sarada?! 

"Can I come in?" 

The voice on the other side of the door was male. "Sure."

Sasuke walked into the room, black cape trailing behind him. He threw something in Boruto's lap. "Happy birthday."