Deep Ball, Shallow Emotions

"A-a-annyeonghaseyo, my name is Y/N Yoo. I am currently a freshman at my university, and currently undertaking international student teaching program. Please take care of me!" I introduced myself to the football team. Eyes are everywhere, as they are looking at the 5'9, 140-pound Filipino-Korean student. The coach was hesitant at first after he saw me heaving footballs in the open field.

"Will you guys introduce yourselves to your new teammate?" The coach, Mr. Ryu, asked his players. The team gave a somewhat different approach towards me. It's understandable, considering that I am a new face to them, it would take days before they adjust to me.

"He's not worth it."
"Can't you see how Y/N worse off-hand?"
"Jesus Y/N, that's it. You're benched."

It's been 2 weeks with the program, and I can definitely say, this is way harder than I expected. Sloppy plays, missed short throws left and right, then always got harassed by the interior. Every single time I felt that I am always the target. But in spite of this, I don't give up to the insults and hell, I stay up late just to make a perfect pass and spiral altogether.

"You're nailing it."
"That's a perfect throw!"
"WHAT A DEEP BALL!"

In the last days, I found my perfect stride in terms of passing and protecting the football very well. Making perfect connections to my receivers who I starting to click in with are the big factors of my improvement. I guess my legs will go sore after this.

"Y/N, that was one hell of a tryout. After weeks of training, you are starting to click and be the guy we wanted to. Because of this, I would like to give you an offer." Mr. Ryu casually walked out of the field after he said that to me. Clueless, I just go back to the bleachers thinking what he said. In my peripheral vision, I saw a girl walking to me. I don't see why this girl walks up to me, but I don't think it would be me, until she stops in front of me.

"G-Garam?" That's all I said as she stopped in front of me. In her bag, it contains food, additional water and some sweets. In addition of the bag, she is somehow hesitant. "You know, you don't need to give these to me. I have my own set here." I added showing her my bag containing my personal things.

"N-no, please accept this. I always see you tired after practice, so I decided to pack up whatever I can give for you to be at strength again." Garam replied, as she insisted to give the bag to you.

"Ya know, it's rude not to accept a bag full of essentials. By the way, how do you know I am trying out?", I asked her, while downing a bottle of an energy drink she offered to me. This coincidentally, made Garam blushed.

"I-It all started that day............." Garam replied, starting her story right away.

FLASHBACK 3 WEEKS AGO (GARAM'S POV)

"It was said that Y/N will try out for a full scholarship," Yudimi replied to me. "But I think it would be difficult for him to be fully accepted by his teammates." she added. Not giving her another time to talk, I immediately went to the soccer field where the football tryouts are holding. And then I saw you, the student-teacher that I don't know how to describe, but makes my heart warm.

After some minutes of introducing yourself, your teammates seems, odd. They don't know what to reply to your greeting, that gets more worse when they just ignored you and left. I can't do in that moment, reminds me of my first day in Seoul.

Many days later, I saw it firsthand, how they were low on your mistakes every time you made one.

"What the fuck, Y/N, that was the easiest throw you can make!" "Use your arms more! You are not passing like a basketball player, YOU are a football player!" "If you can't throw, line in behind of Daeho!" 

Much worse is the type of language they spat on your face every time they get you down.

"Oh, you are slow as fuck! I thought your body matured." "Throw accurately, monkey!" "I can't believe you throw like a girl, pussy."

That snapped you, and you fight your way to the source of that voice. I can see your rage as you are upset for being insulted like that. However, I can't still defend you. I felt pityness as you are bullied. If I can help you......

However, as the time is close to the final roster cut, I can see your drastic improvement. Your throws began to click to your receivers, your arm and leg coordination started to work together, and your awareness began to improve as well. In the reason, I began to see your potential to be in the team.

PRESENT DAY (STILL GARAM'S POV)

And now, I can now see the perfect version of you. You finally show your true talent. In despite of all of those hard times, you persevere all of them, and I hope you keep on going.

"Y/N, I see myself in you. The way you back up against bullying, going against all odds. Even I can't see those in me after I left Le Sserafim, the things I want to do was done by you. I-I can't tell all I want to say, but you are the person I think it must be me." I concluded. 

I was speechless. I can't believe what I heard from Garam. I don't know how to react, but wow. Backing up for the people who belittle me was undoubtedly the best thing to do, but hearing firsthand that the people who should be theirs is different. I can't help but to hug her. 

"I can't say it, but thanks Garam. It really boosted up my confidence", I said. She just hugged back, sobbing. "No, no, please don't cry. You just did the right thing by telling it. I am deeply thank you for this. I would like to repay your kindness one day", I added. She only nodded, as she stopped sobbing, wiping away any tears in her face.

"Thank you, thank you, Y/N! I hope we can be friends all year long!", she only replied. She just only hugged me more, even though I put my arms away from her. "Ahhh, yes, I will I will!" I could only reply as she only hug me. I would be blush more, until the coach returned to me.

"Here you go- oh, am I missing something?" The coach could only replied. I then parted Garam's arms from my body, as she stopped crying. 

"N-no coach, I just give her a hug because she spoke about me. What is that though?" I replied, as Garam distanced on me a little bit, while Coach Ryu handed me a letter.

"Y/N, as a coach of the Seoul National University I am giving you a full academic scholarship to study in this campus, and at the same time, balance your time studying in 2 different universities at once, and playing for the SNU. Congratulations, and welcome to the family." Coach Ryu told me. Without hesitation, I immediately hugged coach as well, tears starting to leak in my eyes. 

"Oh God, I thought it would not be possible, but now it's like a dream. Thank you coach!" I replied. I know it would be difficult to tell the University about this, but it will be tomorrow's problem. Right now, I need to focus on my student teaching, college football, and my new-found friendship with Kim Garam.