The Blue Tree

I sneak through the upstairs hallway. Slowly, not making a sound as my fluffy socks hit against the hardwood floors.

It was 5 am.

I set a alarm so that I would get up before Hunter and get out of the house in time to have a beautiful Florida day.

I want to know the place I'm now living in. And I also don't want to be milking cows, or ruining my shoes. Which by the way I need to buy new ones today.

I didn't know which room was who's. So I kept an eye out for movement.

I slowly make it to the staircase and at the end of the hallway I see Hunter getting dressed in his bedroom.

I don't make a sound but then I notice he reaches for his doorknob and I bolt. Not caring if I make a sound. But it wasn't like I was wearing shoes. Well I didn't actually have shoes but you get the point.

I close the front door and then realize I didn't have a car.

How dumb could I be?

What I did have was a drivers license.

I look around the house for any cars a notice a 1970's ford f-150. My favorite truck ever made.

I open the door and hop in.

I look around for the key and lucky me it was sitting in the passenger seat. I guess out here in the middle of literally no where you don't have to worry about robbers.

I put it in drive and start backing out. Once I hit the concrete road, the opposite of their dirt driveway, Hunter walks out.

I couldn't see him from here and I didn't care. I sped off within seconds.

...

I didn't know how to get anywhere so relied on google maps. "Turn right." The British man directed me. I turned right and just as the man presumed I was at my destination. The Blue Tree Clothing Store.

Unfortunately there weren't that many stores around wherever this was but I got lucky and this was only 5 miles from the house.

I take the key out, which stops my rock music, and open the door. My socks hit the hard ground. There was only 2 other cars in the parking lot so I didn't worry about people giving me looks.

I put the keys in my sweatpants pocket and walk in.

The bell above dings and a girl my age looks up from writing something down at the front desk.

She quickly smiles and waves. Then her eyes drop to my feet and a confused look forms onto her face.

She shuffles out of her seat and starts walking towards me.

"No shoes?" She raises an eyebrow. I laugh. "It's complicated. Do you have any cheap sneakers?" I ask. She nods. I glance down at her name tag for a brief second before she starts walking away. Amy.

I sit on a chair as I patiently wait for her. She emerges from an isle with two boxes in her hand. She opens the first box. Inside were a pair of black chucks, just like my old pair.

She opens the second. A pair of tan work boots.

The more obvious choice would be the chucks but that wouldn't make sense since I live on a farm. With mud on every inch of the yard.

"Those look nice." I point to the second box and she smiles. She skips over to the front desk and I follow.

Amy was sweet. Sweet and simple. I liked her blonde hair the most. I envied it.