02

Chapter 2: My Time

Chapter 2: My Time

       "I can explain...." I was fumbling with my words as my father looked at me as my two snickering brothers quietly enjoyed the scene. Even after they marry their wives, they aren't as helpful as I thought. I gave them a slight death glare before father signalled me to come forward as mother released a sigh.

"You better have... I didn't make an appointment with a lot of businessman's son for nothing, tell me, were they not 'husband material' enough for you?" as I put the tea and muttered a 'enjoy' to father. He smiled at me and asked Butler Kim to prepare the dishes since he knew I had school.

"No...아빠, they are wonderful people... couldn't be better," I mutter the last part quietly, "but they are not what I was hoping. Besides, I'm still in high school. Don't you think this will be quick?' I reasoned with my father.

He looked at me as the table was silent, and he sighed. I've tried to reason with him since he first mentioned an arranged marriage. My brothers might have been obligate since they got decent wives, and here I am, stuck with non-mature kids. I must go through things just to have my own love life.

"My daughter... the moment I find someone perfect, you will go on certain dates and –"

"and then will be wedded before college starts – father... that's the same tradition you do on every single one of us, please I'm asking you not to interfere with mine. They might have agreed –"pointing at my brothers –"but I thought I might have a chance to find love...."

"You don't understand I –"standing up from my seat –"I hope you agree to let me go."

Reasoning with the head of the family was never straightforward, but I couldn't help myself. Maybe you need to understand how hard it is to prove to your family that you can do anything yourself. Many people would disagree with me, but I'm tired of living like this. Growing up as a princess in the family, I learned I wanted to have a prince charming sweeping my feet away in a horse. Still, reality hits and I'm sure to burn those princess books that used to make little girls dream.

Don't get me wrong, dreaming and hoping is not a crime, but somehow there should be a limit to that.

I stood up from the chair, got a hold of myself, bowed down, made an excuse and headed out of the back porch to go outside.

I was about to grab a bottle of water from the kitchen when I felt a hand grab my forearm. Looking back to see one of my brothers, Hyunsuk, the eldest of the three.