35) How to Handle Harsh Criticism

This is a continuation of the previous section, which dealt with how writers should handle critiques. Today will focus more on criticism, which is a different thing entirely.

I think that Wattpad might confuse things a bit for everyone because Wattpad users in the clubs use "critics" as if it means someone who critiques your story.

There is, however, a fine yet important difference.

Critique means pointing out the strengths and flaws of a story in order to improve it. This means that, while it does still depend heavily on personal tastes, critiques will be (or should be) as constructive as a person can make it. Of course, the constructive bit can be up to the writer. Critique partners probably won't spend all day saying things like: "Your character has no motivation to do this, but they sound awesome." The idea is that we point things out so you can improve them. Whether you act on this advice is up to you.

Critics are people who read something and say they didn't like it. In other words, they are people who criticize. Often, they can and will be really mean about it too. Of the: "Oh how I wish the writer will just go die somewhere" persuasion (which puts them in troll territory).

Do not confuse with reviewers. Reviewers might not like your book, but the tone they used to convey their dislike will be civilized at worst and helpful at best. If you get a bad review, you might want to read why and see if there's anything that you might improve on next time.

Another important difference between a reviewer and a critique is that reviewers often chalk things they don't like up to personal taste. For example, "I just couldn't connect with a character who's so angry all the time" as opposed to "the character was badly written and should rather not have been written at all."

In other words, reviewers always allow for the fact that tastes differ.

Critics don't. In fact, they will often be insulting to the writer and anyone who disagrees with the critics's.

So what do you do if a reviewer doesn't like your book?

Nothing, actually. You might thank him/her for taking the time to read, but don't try to convince the reviewer that they are wrong about your story. Tastes differ, and someone with differing tastes sharing what they didn't like about your work might actually help you find readers who do like what you're offering.

Also, hundreds of only positive reviews tend to look fake, bought, or otherwise untrustworthy. So a few bad reviews might actually help you.

And if a critic tears your story apart?

Again, do nothing. You don't engage. Not even to make nice. Critics are very likely to be trolls in disguise. If you respond in any way, odds are that things will get really nasty. And they will bring friends, which will make things even worse.

So it's much better to just ignore them. If they're abusive (i.e. attacking you personally) and ESPECIALLY if they're being abusive toward your fans: REPORT THEM. All sites like Wattpad, Goodreads, and even vendors have or should have a place where you can report abusive comments.

Reporting them should be anonymous, which means it won't reflect on you. In other words, this is the cleanest way to make trolls stop.

Don't even try to reason with them.

They're not there to have a debate. They're trying to make themselves look good at your cost. By giving them attention, you're giving them a platform. Instead, get them banned and take their platform away.

Clean, simple and fast.

That's pretty much it. When someone doesn't like your book, you just let them have their opinion and leave it at that. It's the safest and therefore the best solution for all involved.

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions about this section or writing in general, please feel free to ask me. If your question inspires me to write a new section, I'll dedicate it to you.

Coming up in 100 Things:

Never Chase the Zone

Why It's Better to Write It Yourself