Snowfall on a Hot Night

"You're not dozing off on me back there, hey Ren?" my dad asked me from the front seat. My dog Sadie's head perked up at his voice breaking the silence of her rest. I rubbed my eyes, and scoffed in amusement.

"Just waiting for Reki. It is almost midnight, you know. I'm allowed to be at least a little sleepy." I replied, petting Sadie's head as she laid back down.

"You do this almost every night kiddo, you should be used to staying up this late by now." he retorted playfully. I kicked the back of his seat, making both of us laugh. Just then, the passenger door opened and a familiar redhead hurriedly jumped in the vehicle.

"You're late, Reki." my dad told him as he shut the door.

"Sorry man." Reki apologized, strapping on his seatbelt. I leaned forward between the two front seats.

"Hey Reks, you sure you're ready to go up against Shadow?" I asked, a touch of concern in my tone. He reached his one hand over and started messing up my hair, his other arm putting me in a headlock. I protested, and "tasered" him in the side. He let out a yelp, and let go reluctantly.

"Since when did you lose all faith in Mechanic-Star-Reki? I'll be fine, come on. If anything, I'm gonna kick his ass so bad he's not gonna wanna come back." he explained confidently. I could only roll my eyes at the dumbass, smoothing my hair back down.

As we kept driving, Reki rambled to me about some sort of new skateboard he planned on making. We decided on some design ideas, the length of the deck, the type of trucks, if we were gonna use any cool wheels, random stuff like that. We approached the gate of the abandoned mine site soon enough, and the two bouncers out front opened it wide for our vehicle to get through. There were all types of skaters, left and right. Some swerved in front of the car, others contently glided along by. My dad was occasionally honking at the reckless people skating in front of the car.

"Jeez, someone's gonna get hurt." he grunted.

"Hey, looks like a typical night to me." Reki added. I nodded in agreement. Everyone who skated in general were idiots, but it took even bigger ones to come to a place like this. It was sketchy, dangerous, but also fun and adrenaline inducing.

We pulled up close to the starting line, and all got out. Sadie tagged along behind me just fine without a leash, so I never bothered to put one on her. We walked up to the familiar lights and race setup, and standing there, was Shadow. He wore big black combat boots with two burgundy spikes piercing out of the front of each one. He wore the same style knee pads, and slim leggings. To accompany the leggings, there was a type of ugly speedo looking thing on the outside of his pants. His right shoulder bared a tattoo with the letters S and D in yellow and red ink. He had a cropped leather vest, arm bands with the same burgundy spikes, and an obnoxious red cape. His face was all painted like a clown, and his tangerine coloured hair was all spiked up.

I doubted anyone could look more ridiculous then this freak.

"You were smart to run away the last time." Shadow taunted.

"Take back what you said Shadow; you're gonna regret dissing me." Reki retorted. The crowd was immediately in an uproar, anticipation laced thick in the air. All sorts of bystanders cried out cheers and bets. The siren began to blare, signalling the soon commencement of the beef. Everyone standing in the way quickly scattered, lining up to get a good view of the race. All of the cameras fired up on the big screen. Shadow and Reki approached the starting line, and Shadow stuck his tongue out at him, crossing his thumb across his neck.

Could he be any more immature? I wondered.

"Don't let him get to you, Reki." I heard my dad mumble under his breath. I mentally agreed. One of the lights turned red, then another, and another. The final one turned green and the two skaters were off. Shadow already had a bit of a lead, but Reki wasn't too far behind. The drones got clear perfect shots of the race, from every angle. They were everywhere. It freaked me out sometimes to tell you the truth.