Awesome for the First Time

Langa's board hit the ground right before the white finish line, and he crossed it while Shadow was bringing up the rear, totally in shock. He was definitely not the only one. My heart was still racing in my chest, hammering against my ribs.

What a crazy night.

Reki stomped past me once the crowd died down, and strode right up to Langa. I hadn't questioned it until I saw him abruptly grab Langa's shirt collar. I ran up to them in an instant.

"Idiot!" Reki yelled at him as I approached. I hung back only a little, just to see what he was doing.

"You're so... AWESOME!" Reki squealed, and I let out a sigh of relief. Reki sparkled with pride and amazement. Langa looked as confused as ever.

"Oh my lord, Reki, give him a little space would ya? Don't just grab people like that." I scolded Reki, pulling him back so that he released his grip on Langa's collar. I saw Langa relax, and I took a good look at him. He was barely sweating at all, and his breathing was only a little elevated. I was internally in as much awe as Reki. I nudged Langa with my elbow.

"That was incredible." I told him.

~The Next Morning~

Reki had spent the night at my place after we dropped the bike off at the shop and made sure Langa got home without trouble. The whole time we kept rewatching the broadcast and barely slept a wink. It was safe to say that we hadn't seen a performance like that, let alone from a newbie.

Reki was now dead asleep, while I had just been scrolling on my phone for a few hours. I jumped at the small sound of Reki's stomach growling in his sleep, so I got up and decided to make us something to eat.

When I entered the kitchen, my mom and dad were sitting at the dining room table, having coffee and talking about bills. I strode over, giving them each a side hug.

"Morning honey. Did you guys sleep at all?" Mom asked me, hugging me back. I shook my head as I grabbed her mug from her hand, bringing it up to my lips as I took a content sip. The smell of the coffee and the soft heat emitting from the mug sent a wave of calm through my body. I swallowed before continuing.

"Well, let me rephrase; Reki is asleep now. For most of the night we just kept watching the race." I added.

"Your dad and I watched it this morning. You're sure he's never skated before?" she asked, I think to both myself and my dad.

"Nope. Never touched a skateboard before. Reki coaxed him onto his the other day, and without the tape he immediately fell. Kaoru did tell me that he thought he could be a snowboarder, though." I explained. Both my parents nodded.

"Seems highly likely. He did move from the mountains. Oh yeah, I sent the video to Jin, too. He replied with a 'he's not bad for a new guy.'" my dad said, and we all laughed.

"Mr founding-member-of-S doesn't get to talk." I joked. I glanced over at the stairs, feeling the emptiness of his room from down here. I shrugged off the feeling, and finally gave my mom her coffee back so I could make my own, along with breakfast.

"Are you guys hungry at all? I'm gonna make something for Reki and I anyway, so speak now or forever be hungry." I said.

"Whatcha making?" Dad asked with a smug look.

"Pancakes, obviously." I replied, giving him my ultimate finger guns.

"Sounds exquisite, we would love some kiddo." Mom told me with a laugh, using a horrendous British accent for the first part of her sentence. I was in my own fit of giggles, and I started the coffee maker, raiding the pantry for the pancake mix.