Undesired Hero

"I need a challenge. It's been a while since I've levelled up. Are you in?" Miya challenged with apparent video game terminology. I glanced at Langa.

"Don't even think about it. He's in a totally different class." Reki intervened before Langa could answer.

"I heard you're actually a snowboarder, is that right? Very fascinating. I'd love to see how you managed to beat Shadow." Miya started up again.

"I get that, but I just don't know... if I could ever do it again." Langa responded, and went deep into thought.

"But I accept." He said suddenly, familiar sparkles surrounding his face. I turned my head fully to face him now, knowing he was probably making a huge mistake.

"Slow your roll, I wouldn't get too confident just from nailing an Ollie. This kid's a hardcore professional." I combated.

"I'm in." Langa said confidently, seeming to ignore my every word.

"Really?!" Reki yelled at him.

"Then it's settled. What should the stakes be?" Miya bribed. I turned to look at the boy again, and Sketchy was contently nestled in his arms against his chest. I was shocked, considering that thing didn't like anyone half the time. "Any ideas on what we should bet?" He completed tauntingly.

~~~

"This is ridiculous, why don't they just keep the gates open?" Langa inquired as we drove up to the gates of Crazy Rock. We had basically hitch hiked our way into the bed of a truck loaded with other skaters. It was a good idea to prepare Langa for the random beef request he probably had no chance of winning. Time was currently his enemy, so we decided to take extra measures and practice at the course during the day.

"You're not even supposed to talk about the course existing. Why would they keep it open for all to see?" Reki retorted, making Langa sigh heavily. The regular bouncers situated out front had the gates propped open so the truck could pass. As soon as we cleared the gates, I clutched my board in one hand and jumped out of the still moving truck. I chucked my board ahead of me, jumping on and trailing behind the vehicle since Reki and Langa were still inside.

"Why are you dumb?" Reki shouted back to me.

"I was raised dumb, you know this." I called back with a grin. The truck finally stopped, and the rest of the skaters filed out from the truck bed and skated off down the track. The guys were the last ones to leave the vehicle, and when they did we followed the rest of the people. Langa only had his front foot secured, while the back was loose so he could practice his tick-tock movements.

"So hey, is this like your shtick? Jumping into stupid situations?" I asked Langa teasingly. He looked up from his board.

"What do you mean?" He wondered genuinely. I rolled my eyes.

"I think she means accepting rando challenges left and right. No other noob would race against Shadow, and now you're taking on a challenge from an east national team hopeful?" Reki explained for me. Langa thought about it, and then just looked ahead.

"I don't know. It sounded fun, I guess." Langa replied. Both Reki and I stared blankly at him, before starting up with laughter. I don't know what we got ourselves into, but it sure as hell wasn't gonna be boring. Reki started laughing harder, pointing at Langa's funky stance on his board.

"No way bro, look! Your feet!" He laughed, only now noticing the fact he only had one foot secured. Langa gave him a scowl before replanting his foot under the straps, reverting to his tick-tock movements like he always did.

"Check out that RSP, its doing well out here!" Reki mentioned, looking down at his handiwork. Langa glanced down as well, confused with that he meant.

"The what?" He asked. Now Reki seemed confused.