Adam, the Matador of Love

Adam snickered menacingly, as if he were taunting him.

"And what if I will not take it back?" He daunted, causing Reki to grit his teeth and hold up his board. I felt like I knew where this was going, and after he said it, there would be no going back.

"Then you leave me no choice. I'll make you." Reki boasted. And now, the deal had unknowingly been set in stone. The crowd was instantly in an uproar, anticipating the new beef with the legendary Adam. Everyone in the crowd started chanting Adam's name, and then died out when Reki took a step forward.

"If I win this match, you apologize to Miya." Reki offered his demands, and Miya spun around to face him.

"I don't need your pity, slime! I'm not afraid of starting over. It's fine, rules are rules and I can handle it." Miya interjected, staring at the ground as his voice grew quieter.

"It's not about pity," Reki began softly, before regaining his cold demeanor towards Adam, "it's about being done with jerks like him treating others like total crap." he completed, causing Miya to look up hopefully. Reki's gaze was still fixed on Adam, who had said nothing.

"Hey, I know you can hear me; I can see your ears sticking out from that mask!" Reki raised his voice, attempting to get a reply to his bet. Adam spoke, but it seemed to be about a completely different topic. He extended his hand, looking down at it thoughtfully.

"I wonder, if we could see our emotions, what shape would they take for the moods we're in? I imagine mine would be a spring, picture it. The amount of flowing water would reflect how I'm feeling!" Adam chimed, performing a few jumps and spins around Langa and I, before circling back and landing on his board in a dramatic theatrical pose.

"I'm not here for a poetry reading, I'm here for-" Reki started, before Adam approached him slowly, his fist extended towards Reki's face. I thought he was about to hit him, before all he did was open his hand in front of his face.

"If we were to look right now my spring would be a desert, because that's the level of interest I have in humoring mediocrity." Adam trailed off as his voice took on an uncomfortable growl. He propelled his board backwards, circling around Langa and I. I wanted to back away so I wouldn't be surrounded by him, but he was moving too fast for me to flee.

"Little miss Riot, I've heard quite a lot about you. Early practice turned you into a legend; the legacy continues! How I miss the thrill, the one Jin always satisfied me with. I just know I need to race with you once I'm done with my warm up. My spring has regained its flow of water, however..." he explained to me as I trailed him with my eyes. His attention was drawn to Langa.

"You, your talent, it drips from you. I've become a river. You've created a deluge of intrigue, oh! A flow of information has burst open my dam, so I've chosen my prize. I wanna skate with you after my refresher. How does that sound?" Adam asked, a hand under Langa's chin, and my heart lodged in my throat. This was his own bet in correspondence to Reki's. If Reki lost, he would go up against me, and then Langa. The thought of that brought a chill rippling under my skin, raising the hair on the back of my neck.

"I can't wait." Langa replied flatly, starring Adam down. To be honest, I wasn't surprised he'd accepted. From what I'd begun to realize, he never seemed to know when a challenge was too much. Reki was utterly surprised, nonetheless.

"What?! Langa!" Reki exclaimed. Adam gave another sneer, turning around to face Reki once again.

"Excellent, we have a deal." He told Reki tauntingly. There was a hint of sadistic anticipation in his tone, and the more I looked at him, the less familiar he seemed to me.

~~~

Before I knew it, the sun had begun to rise. I hadn't slept a wink, since I had been running through the two versions of Adam in my head. I hadn't been able to find much for broadcasts of his races, most likely because the broadcasts only started getting popular after he'd moved away. From what I'd seen, and the way my brother had described him, he didn't seem all that threatening or even evil like he'd portrayed himself last night. Maybe it had been a big charade? Maybe as he grew to be continuously undefeated, his ego inflated as well? I wasn't sure. I assumed I would just have to find it out for myself once his race with Reki arrived. I rubbed my eyes, trying to get rid of the itch due to the tiredness. I knew I needed to get more sleep, especially if I didn't wanna be caught falling asleep in school again. I was already getting called on enough for that. I dragged myself out of bed, got dressed in some sage green cargo shorts, a gray and black striped pullover top, and a black zip up hoodie. I brushed my hair, put on a bit of makeup, grabbed my phone and AirPods, and strode over to pet a still sleeping Sadie. I left my room, a little surprised to see my Dad getting his work bag off the counter. I usually wasn't out of my room early enough to see him leave for work, which meant it was a little before six AM. As Dad was putting on his shoes, he looked up to see me.