Chapter 2 - Part 2

I didn't go back to class that afternoon. Since it was the day before the ‹‹Apocalypse››, the lesson's probably gonna be crap anyway, but more importantly, I was pondering the meaning behind Minako's words.

            She's a beautiful girl. She has excellent grades, her family's well-to-do, she's perfect in nearly every way. It's not an exaggeration if I said every boy she meets falls in love with her, (nor is it if I said they'll receive death threats from an unknown brown-haired girl the next day), but there's a particular reason I can't be with her.

            What is love?

 The Greeks had a version of this. It I said in ancient mythology that humans once had four legs, four arms and two heads. Then as punishment, the Gods separated them into two parts, each with two legs, two arms, and one head, the exact half of the original.

 As punishment, each human is now incomplete. That's why they try their best to fill in their missing parts, to find the other half that originally belonged to them. That's why people love.

 It's a pretty romantic point of view, but put in another way, that would mean that as we are now, we're not even humans. We're just half of humans, ‹‹Human 0.5›› if you will. What I originally thought of as a lowly creature, we're all just half the worth of that.

 Can you even stand the thought?

 ‹‹God›› does not love. ‹‹God›› is a perfect being, one of the prerequisites for which is that he does not require the assistance of another being. ‹‹God›› is alone, but also perfect in that sense.

           I want to reach the level of ‹‹God››. That being said, I must refrain from engaging in any illicit activities with the other gender. I won't ever accept that I'm a ‹‹Human 0.5››. I'm perfect the way I am. If anything, I'm higner than all of you. My advanced philosophical thinking is enough to advance me into a ‹‹Human 2.0››.

           That's why, no matter what happens, I must not give in to my emotions. That's why I can't fall in love with Minako. That's what I'm telling myself, but the truth is, I'm just running away from the truth.

           I just don't want myself tainting her reputation in any way. Friendless, shut-in, and a delinquent. What would people think if they saw me hanging out with her.

           I heaved a sigh. Life is strange.

           Kannazuki doesn't sit anywhere near the window so even if I'm high up in a tree right now, I can't see him even if I wanted to. Minako and Rize were also on the far back, but somehow visible nevertheless. And of course, on the classroom window below, Chifuyu was sending me something in morse, Arashi was sleeping, and Shiina was probably focusing all mental energy on making me fall.

           "Senpai~"

           I looked down. Two identical looking girls were watching me by the foot of the tree. Their hair this time was brown.

           "Ugh, you guys again. What do you want this time?"

           "Oh we just thought we'd hunt for a scoop before the world ends," the one on the left said jovially.

           "And what better source of news than the lowest problem student in the student, right?"

           "Ah mou senpai, you're always spot on when it comes to things like this."

           "Sou~ sou~. Are you a mind reader or something?"

           "The fact that I'm correct aside, there are other things you can focus on besides my every wrongdoing, you know."