9;New heights

Quick note, I went back and edited some chapters so if you read them before then, I just want to let you know that Fii's flames are not blue(yet)

Also, merry late Christmas, here's your gift, I know it's been a while since I've posted a chapter

Any dialogue that is underlined is in English

--third person--

"Do you think I could fly high enough to reach the clouds?"

The black and teal haired boy glanced toward the red-head with mild interest as she stared at him intensely.

"If you can, could you bring some back down? They look fluffy..."

A smile stretched out on the little girl's face as she watched her friend stare back up at the sky with a blank expression. Standing up from her current sitting position, she redirected her gaze upward with a newfound determination.

Unfurling her wings, she took a few deep breaths to remain calm and have more control over her breathing, just as Yoriichi had told her to. She had begun to get into this habit whenever she did anything that was more than her normal amount of effort, focusing a lot on her breathing during her training and even sharing a few tips with Senjuro as well.

With tremendous force, that took the older boy off guard, she launched off the ground into the air, however since she was not used to starting with that much force or attempting to fly so high, she began to lose velocity fairly quickly. She noticed this, panic flashed in her eyes for a mere second before she composed herself and flew in a loop de loop motion to halt her descent.

She took a moment to collect her thoughts and breathe slowly from her stilled position in the air, aside from the constant flapping of her wings helping her to stay stationary. It actually took a considerable amount of effort and probably shouldn't stay up too long, lest she falls from this height and isn't able to stop herself (it's kinda like swimming).

Unfortunately, after the moment, she had made the mistake of looking down. She had never flown this high before. Terror flashed in her eyes as she was then made painfully aware of aching of her wings and the effort it took just to keep herself suspended in the air. If she were to fall from this height....

Shaking that thought away, she remembered that her friend had wanted a cloud. she, too, had wondered what it would be like to hold a cloud, they always looked so fluffy, so they must feel like something akin to cotton right?

She looked up and noticed that the clouds didn't seem all too far away, she reckons she can make it and starts flying again this time at an angle and with a more steady pace. When she makes it to the cloud, she reaches out to it, her stomach twisting in anticipation, only to drop as her arm went straight through it.

Her blood ran cold and she felt a shiver run down her spine as she stared at it in horror. What had she done? Why couldn't she touch it? Why did it look so solid? She was sure that it would be fluffy, that she'd be able to lie in it and fall asleep comfortably. Was it her? Was she not worthy? Or maybe the human race were only ever meant to look at them, always remaining outside their reach....

Frowning, she put another hand in. Oddly enough, the cloud didn't really feel like anything, if I couldn't see it I might not have known it were there, it kind of reminded me of fog, or mist...

Deciding to risk it, the winged girl slammed her eyes shut and entered the cloud, noticing the distinct scent of water vapour as she moved about with zero difficulty. She didn't know what to expect, but she wasn't expecting it to be as beautiful and peaceful as it was, she couldn't even see the ground anymore, it was covered by a sea of clouds that she hadn't noticed before, she didn't see this many before... They looked to be a lot more solid than the one she saw earlier, but doubts that they are as they appear since she did go through them to get there.