Chapter One

𝒜𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓎 𝒞𝒶𝓂𝓅𝒷𝑒𝓁𝓁
POV

It's the last day of summer meaning school starts tomorrow. Also meaning I'm freaking out. I haven't been to this school in a little over a year and I don't know if I'm ready to return to the place reserved for nightmares.

Of course I miss my family and I know I can't stay with grandma forever, but it's nice to dream I could. The main thing getting me through the fear is seeing my family in the comfort of my own home and seeing my friends.

Everyone has visited me multiple times but it's not the same. I mean I shouldn't be scared to go home but I wasn't supposed to be scared of falling in love either.

I'm currently packing up the rest of my stuff before mom and dad pick me up from grandmas. It's only a 3 hour drive from home so I have a bit of time to finish. Homeschool has been hard especially knowing the reason I'm even doing it. I'm honestly very excited to see everyone but is it strange to say that even though I hope for the best, I can't help but dread the expectations and questions that will come with my return?

"Honey, are you almost done packing? Your parents should be here soon", grandma calls from the living room.

She has truly been my rock for the past year and I couldn't have asked for someone better to help me through this transition.

"Yeah, just finishing up!" I called back.

I zip up my suitcases and as I walk out, I take another look at the room that brought me back to life. This break from home was something I needed and I'm grateful that my family understood.

I walk down the hall until I reach and see my grandma. She is sitting in her chair reading another magazine. We have grown incredibly close this past year and she has shown me that it's okay to take time for yourself. Some may think it's embarrassing to spend a whole year with your grandma but I don't think I would be where I am now without her.

She looks up from her magazine when she hears me come into the room and sit down on the couch.

"Oh honey, there you are. Are you all packed?" she said, setting her magazine down and fixing her glasses.

"Yeah, I think I got it all. Thank you so much for everything you've done for me grandma. I can't thank you enough." I say getting a little teary eyed.

"Avery you never have to thank me for caring about you. Between you and me, you're my favorite grandchild. But don't tell your brothers, especially Elliot because we all know we can't hurt his ego." she winks at me.

I laugh at her because it's clear she loves all of us more than you could think someone could love another. "Your secret is safe with me grandma."

Ring Ring Ring

"That must be everyone" I say to grandma, starting to dread going back more and more.

As grandma starts to get up to walk me out she stops and says, "Everything is going to be alright hon-" she gets cut off when Elliot barges into the house.

"G'ma I know you're hiding those cookies you made" Elliot says heading straight towards the kitchen, Garret hot on his tail.

"Those two are going to be the death of me, BOYS GET OUT OF MY KITCHEN BEFORE YOU BREAK SOMETHING!" she yells running after them.

Just after she enters the kitchen, mom and dad come in and mom runs straight towards me. "Babygirl I have missed you so much! All of the testosterone is making me claustrophobic" she says dramatically.

I giggle while hugging her back. " I missed you too mama! I'm so happy to see you. Hi dad I missed you too." I say bringing him into the hug.

"Oh babydoll we have all missed you at home, I'm so glad to have you back." He squeezes me extra tight.

"Ow ow ok we're going!" Elliot says with Garret on his back while grandma chases them out with her whisk.

"That's what I thought. Aves come give me a hug before you leave."

I walk over to grandma and hug her like if I let go she won't be there like she was this past year.

"Honey I want you to know I love you more than anything, even my soaps. But I want you to promise me you won't let anything stop you from becoming the remarkable lady I know you will be. You are too special for this world to miss out on and I'm always a phone call away. Thank you for keeping me company." She whispers in my ear while I try to fight back my tears.

"I should be thanking you grandma. You brought me back to my old self and I will miss our fights with the tv when we disagree with the plots." I laugh through the tears, not ready to let go.

Unfortunately I have to let her go, but not before kissing her check as a final thank you.

Dad goes up to grandma and says "Thank you for taking care of our girl mom. You'll have to come over for dinner soon."

"Oh Marc you know I'll be driving down after the kids first week of school. It's tradition." she says while rolling her eyes playfully as if she can't stand him forgetting it.

"Alright we gotta get back so Avery can unpack and get ready for school tomorrow. Thank you Mary-Ann" mom says giving grandma a quick hug.

"No need to thank me Melissa, I had a blast with my little lady" she squeezes my hand before helping with my bags.

Everyone follows grandma and dad out of the house and we begin packing my bags into the car. Dad shut the truck and we all begin to pile into the car for the drive back. It's only 12pm right now so I will still have some time to prepare for tomorrow by the time we get back.

We all wave goodbye to grandma one last time, me looking back at her until we turn the corner and she's out of sight.

Time to go back home, here goes nothing.

———————————————————————————

First chapter!!
Please feel free to give me some feedback on what you liked or didn't like. Was it too long? Too repetitive or boring?

How's everyone doing today?
-meg xoxo