Winter Wonderland

Clutching the strap of my messenger bag, I make my way across the parking lot until I reach the glass doors, trying in earnest not to slip on a patch of ice. The wind whips my hair into a frenzy as I swing the heavy door open and step into the vestibule. I can feel the static electricity taking over as I unwrap my scarf, pulling it away from my face and neck while carefully wiping my boots on the already damp rug. I swing the next set of doors open, and as I step in, I can't help but instantly smile as I take in a deep breath and inhale the scent that I love so much....books!

My wet shoes make a squeaking sound as they come into contact with the tiled floor, and I'm embarrassed as it echoes through the lobby, causing me to smirk, knowing this is just my kind of luck. I feel a wave of relief wash over me when I finally make my way out of the lobby and onto the muted green carpet that covers the first floor of the library -my shoes no longer disturbing anyone.

This truly is one of my favorite places to be; it's so peaceful here. A wall of windows spans one entire wall of the building, stretching up several floors, filling the room with natural light. Bookcases made of a deep mahogany wood warm the space, piled with glorious books about any subject your heart desires to learn about.

I arrived here later than I had hoped, and almost all the seating has been taken. I walk around aimlessly, trying to find a place to sit, when I see an open spot on a bench across from a man that seems to be deep in thought while thumbing through a book. I carefully approach while trying to figure out a way to gently get his attention when he looks up, catching my eye. "Is this seat taken?" I whisper, and he smiles, producing two perfectly pronounced dimples that mesmerize me for a moment.

"No, go right ahead," the polite stranger replies quietly, and I nod a thankful smile while letting the deep velvet tones of his voice sink into my senses.

Quietly I remove the remainder of my winterwear, piling my coat, scarf, and mittens into a neat pile next to me on the bench while I try to smooth down my frazzled hair. When I'm finally settled down, I retrieve my laptop from my bag and get to work. I begin sifting through my students' work, trying to figure out whose paper I need to grade first. I filter the assignment list by date and decide to tackle the papers that came in first. As I open the first assignment, I'm thrilled to see my student followed the assignment rubric, and as I read their work, I take my time leaving comments, being sure to praise them for the work they did well, and then adding suggestions to improve in some areas in the future.

Thirty minutes seem to vanish as I finish grading the first submission. I finally look up and focus on that magnificent wall of windows to give my eyes a much-needed break and get my fill of the brilliant sunlight filtering in. The way the sunshine reflects upon the snow-covered, frozen tundra outside makes for beautiful scenery. I sigh, wishing I had more time on my hands to enjoy the delights that come as the holiday break approaches, but alas, there is work to be done!

Only 19 more papers to go! I've got this!

My eyes slowly move around the room, observing various people taking out books and flipping through their pages as they look over their selections. I feel giddy inside when I see people happily reading, and I hope my own writing dreams will come to fruition someday.

Suddenly, I feel eyes on me, and I look over to find the handsome man looking at me. Blushing, I can't help but look deep into his smiling eyes. They look thoughtful, curious, and like they hold secrets far beyond my imagination. He shoots another broad grin my way, and it sends a shiver through me. I smile up through my lashes and then immediately get back to work while trying to calm down.

What is he looking at?

Trying my best to refocus, I get back to my work but notice when the handsome man gets up occasionally to peruse a selection of books in the Arts section. I can't help but drag my eyes over his body; he's tall and lean -clearly works out, a beautiful picture of health. Wearing a worn pair of jeans that hug him in all the right places and a simple long-sleeve,  green v-neck shirt that looks like it would be soft to the touch stretched over his broad chest; I am beside myself that this gorgeous man seems to have interesting tastes in books as well.