Chapter 2: The Watcher

Deep within the deserts of Derleth's World, several miles from Areex and Tom, in a cluster of pyramids sat one with something quite unusual attached to it.

A satellite dish. It hadn't always been there but it had the impression that it always was.

This satellite dish linked to the interior of the pyramid wirelessly - almost as though the information it picked up traveled through the ether itself into the pyramid. It was not mechanical but rather a living thing - a Great Old One helping out a much more powerful member of its species.

Inside of the pyramid sat this Great Old One. The room was dark - as it preferred darkness. Its form was rather round - that of a massive head. A stench of the graveyard emanated from its body. It had the appearance of putrefaction without being fed on by bacteria.

It was not dead. The great Necroceph cultivated the appearance of rot and decay. He was worshiped on Taiora as a god of death. One had to keep up appearances even at home.

As his eye (one appeared to have been ripped out of his head) stared out into the corner of the room, a screen sat blocking his view of the wall. This was fortunate for him, as the wall was quite boring today.

The screen showed a view of Derleth's World - showing which Great Old Ones remained on the planet's surface. There was something going on that was bringing all of the Great Old Ones together. Something great. Something that had been planned for trillions of years.

So far Necroceph did not find anything that piqued his interest. A few minor gods in the Mirik religion - their main god wasn't a Great Old One - skirted across the desert... A god worshiped in the Rebjad Nebula, its steel skin shimmering brightly... Ah. This was interesting.

"Zoom in on Sector Z7GH-99."

The screen zoomed in - revealing two figures that definitely weren't Great Old Ones. One was a human-sized anthropomorphic insect - its lurid purple carapace and robes made it stick out immediately. The other was more human - obviously an android. Normally, Necroceph would have them brought to him for "examination". But...

Necroceph summoned a newly-formed Great Old One - one that must have been only 5.7 seconds old - to him.

The figure flickered over. It resembled an image of a human being - or something like a human being - that flickered in the light. Visible one second, invisible the next.

"Do you see those two figures out in Sector Z7GH-99?" There was the implication that Necroceph pointed at the screen. He did not have hands, however, the implication was so powerful that hands formed right then and there.

"They are... disruptions. I want them found and I want them killed. K-I-L-L-E-D. That is final. Don't even bring me back their bodies. I have a great coming-together to visit!"

The new Great Old One vanished - the body flickering out of sight and staying out of sight. Necroceph then turned his attention back to the screen. God of the Thiuati fish... Demigod of the peoples of the fourth world in the Proxima Centauri system - Ofagia...

Necroceph then briefly turned his attention back to the disruptions. Perhaps it was better for them to be killed by this newblood rather than by him. He then laughed - a short yet cruel laugh - perhaps he and Dr. Lurk could revive them. How horrible for them, Necroceph thought - his thoughts full of extremely bitter irony. How horrible for them.