Chapter 6: The Box

Areex's clawed feet clacked across the floor of the pyramid as they left the room that they had been bodychecked into by something that they had barely seen. They were about to rejoin Tom when they realized that he had left. After calling out to him for a few seconds, Areex could hear Tom's voice some distance away. Deciding that it probably wasn't something replicating his voice, Areex followed the voice down.

"Well I knew you'd come to see this!" said Tom gleefully as he pointed to the object of his curiosity. It was a box sitting on a pedestal. Blue light flecked from it at odd intervals - almost as though the box had been spattered with light.

"Let's... not touch it," said Areex as they looked all around the box. "I'll scan it."

Areex took out a small scanner - a gift from the Ber'sherrier of Dim Skuthos after they had helped to work on a trade route between the Skuthos and Sullus systems - and scanned the box.

"Odd. It's not showing the box whatsoever. It must be a bug."

Areex scanned the box again. The same thing happened.

They then took out another scanner - this one bought on the market moon of Lovehag - and scanned it. This also showed that the box didn't exist.

"Either both of these scanners aren't working or..." Areex put a claw to their jaw and began to think. "Or its matter from another dimension entirely interfacing with this one."

Tom then began staring at the box. "Extremely dangerous. Although judging by the level of technological power we're dealing with, it's possible that this is controlled. Maybe used as a bridge between two dimensions."

"Yes but... which dimensions?"

"Who knows? Maybe back to ours but who knows where? The sulfurous deserts of Jirrh? The wasteland of Skaro? The planetoids orbiting the Ofio Hole?"

"We may have to risk it. Let's just... both touch it at the same time. That way we'll go together."

"On the count of 3. 1... 2..."

Areex neared the box.

"3!"

Areex and Tom placed a hand on the box. Instantly, it started to glow to a frightening amount - the light so bright that it made the skeletons of the duo briefly visible before it stopped.

When it did, Areex and Tom had vanished completely. Not a trace was left on Derleth's World. They had left for another dimension of terror entirely.