Chapter 17

"Kuroo, stop! I need to tell you something."

Everyone turned to the figure in the doorway.

"Kenma?" Kuroo asked. Kenma nodded, breathless.

"Hi, just let me catch my breath." He breathed deeply for a couple seconds, the only disruption to the silence.

"So... what did you want to say?" Kuroo asked. Just when he had been able to build up the courage to shoot Bokuto, another disruption. It was Kenma though, that made this more ok.

What was it about Kenma that made him pause? Something was tugging at his brain, something that made him hesitate before.

Kenma sighed.

"I made a very shitty mistake about a year ago. Kuroo, do you remember when you met Akaashi?" Kenma asked. Kuroo nodded. Of course he remembered the pretty boy walking into class that day.

"Ok. Kuroo, do you remember the day you fell in love with Akaashi?" Kenma asked. Kuroo thought back. When was it. He couldn't quite pin point it, but he could remember the moment he began talking to Kenma about Kuroo.

"Well, I suppose I always liked him." Kuroo guessed. Kenma stopped him there.

"Maybe. Or maybe not." Kenma confused Kuroo.

"Huh?"

Kenma wacked himself in the face.

"What was that for?" Kuroo yelled. Kenma had a more defiant look on his face.

"I'm convincing myself. It' hard, I'm scared. But if I don't do this now, you might live as a murderer for the rest of your life, and I couldn't handle that." Kenma told him. He breathed in.

"I made a deal with Oikawa, about a year ago."

"That was kinda dumb." Bokuto called, Akaashi shushing him to preserve his strength.

"Thanks, Bokuto, maybe focus on the fact you're dying i'll explain further without interruption. The day a year ago, something happened and I wanted to erase it from your memory forever, because I was a scared shit. Oikawa came along and offered that you would forget that day, if I was willing to have you as obsessed with Akaashi as.. well..." Kenma trailed off a bit,

"Well, go on, finish the sentence." Kuroo edged on, something pulling on his brain, memories resurfacing. What was happening.. Kenma gulped.

"I promised Oikawa if you could forget that day, I would want you to be as obsessed with Akaashi as I was obsessed with you." The door to entering his brain was locked, but those locks were so close to being unlocked, something was going to flood his brain.

"I can't stand the idea of you killing someone whilst not in your right mind. Maybe you truly were obsessed with Akaashi before, and this will be pointless and you'll have the hands of a murderer for the rest of your life. Maybe you'll hate me for being so selfish and keeping this curse on you for my own sake. But I have some hope. I hope that maybe, just maybe, things will go my way even thought I don't deserve it." Kenma took a deep breath.

"Kuroo, I'm in love with you."

And all memories flooded into Kuroo's mind at once. All the feelings, everything hit him like a hammer. His morals, his values, what had been going on? Why was he obsessed with Akaashi?

Kuroo threw the gun at the wall.

***

"I like you"

Kuroo grinned. Kenma clearly wanted to show how much he valued his friendship.

"Yeah, I like you too kitten" he replied, laughing, hoping it didn't come across as hopeful or nervous.

Of course, he was hopeful.