Chapter 11

SSK!

Always inspired by the wonderful writer of fantasy whose was the first book I sat down to read completely in Wattpad. Grateful to you for giving us The Throne Of The Four Realms.

***

They walked through the woods that sat still like an obedient child. They headed through the road covered with grass and stones as if no one ever walked that way which stretched right to the tower they had seen. It had a closed door at its bottom which looked more like a Mousehole. A board hung on it covered with the creeping branches with some red and violet flowers.

Srishti moved aside the branches to see the address. 'Miracle Mines' was carved on the wooden board. This wasn't the place she was expecting but a real mine. Srishti looked at Adya who smiled at her approvingly with the same thoughts. She knocked at the door waiting for a response that wouldn't come.

***

The little girl and her brother had been running round the house and her brother only slowed down to let her win. Her father proudly smiled at their mother. "Our children have grown."

The little girl got back to her brother. "Next time, we run you will win for me. Is that a deal?"

He chuckled with agreeing eyes. 

She cried with happiness. "Father, I won. What do I get?"

"What do you want, my princess?" He was ready to bring the world for her like any other parents.

"The magical autumn leaf." She blinked innocently at her father, "the one from the myths of lost land."

Her brother had ran somewhere to the backyard on that demand being made.

"Do you want it now?" Her mother enquired.

She rapidly nodded. "Yes! Yes!"

"But why, darling?"

"So that I can write secret letters to the lost lands. That is how they write, right?" She went down through the thinks she read from the books. "They end their messages imprinting the autumn leaf as a royal stamp with the epistler's name inked on top of it."

Her parents laughed at her fascinations while they heard. "And here you go."

Her brother stood behind offering a flaming red autumn left. He whispered, "I don't know if it is accepted in the lost lands but between us."

She smiled wide as she took it from his hand. "Then you better start sharing your secrets through letters with me."

***

"I don't think anyone lives here anymore. This place is abandoned and feels so distant from the world with a dreadful silence." Adya whispered.

Srishti rolled her eyes. "Could you just let go off the negative thoughts rising in you for now?"

"I will try." She grinned.

Srishti rechecked the address. 'The Knight. Miracle Mines, Scarlet woods, Sun Fort.'  

Srishti knocked harder again. Adya rubbed her hands with a smile that she disliked, "We are breaking in then."

Before Srishti could deny, Adya was hitting on the door lock with a sharp stone and it opened to a foliage that covered the walkway like a curtain.  A very different smell hit them as they walked in like burglars. There was no one in the house and they were sure of it as they noticed no movement. The walkway ended into a small hall with a grey chaise in a corner and in middle was the silver shaded dining table with a jug on it. On the other side was a trundle bed covered in an ash coloured bed cover and duvet. Opposite the bed was the restroom. The wall shelves took place covering much of the area with showpieces and little flower pots. A white writing desk stood within a little space from the chaise. 

A little charcoal colored lamp was put up beside a pen holder and few books were scattered on side of an instant camera. On the wall was a notice board with lot of notes pinned on to it.  In front of the desk and chaise was the privacy windowed wall.

"Aesthetic house," Adya looked around making her way to the little kitchen where the plate was left unwashed in the sink accompanied by a cup of finished coffee. "He is aloof and not modern. I can see that. I assume he left because things are not completed here."

"The knight," Srishti shuddered, "As they call him, whoever he is, is..."

Adya walked back to her only to see her going through the books in the desk with her eyes welling up. She was weak with finding herself in the middle of the mess. She was silent with a hidden thunder in her.

Adya looked into the book. 

"And you finally reach here.  I wanted to tell you; there is a world beyond, go for it."

It was signed at the bottom with a stenciled autumn leaf and the letters RD

Srishti peered over her shoulder and lost a grip. Rishi Diora, her brother and the autumn leaf from their yard, he was there. What was he doing there?

Adya smiled. "Ishaan knows a little too much."

"What?" Srishti turned to her.

"I guess he knew it." Adya whispered, warming her hands.

"But what is my brother doing in the forest after leaving the house, following my father?"

She missed her brother. May be missing was a short word to describe the pain and burden she carried.

"I assume we have two more people to search for." She pulled back herself.

Adya grinned. "Roger that."

They put all the books into the box as they stepped out to leave for home.

"Now where might we find Ishaan and that old lady who had given the obsidian locket?" Srishti burned her head.

Adya seemed to be making up a plan in the silence and finally spilled it. "Why don't we ask Ridhan what he was doing here?"

She was utterly shocked. "Why does it occur to you all of a sudden?"

"May be will find any clues."

"We are not running an investigation." Srishti cleared.

"So you are giving up?"

"No, never. At least I have you now to push me." She smiled. "So I am not planning to look down on myself."

"What would you do if you really get to the lost lands, or find your father and your brother?" Adya doubted curiously. 

Realize it sooner or later, you will not go anywhere. They are dead and so will be you.  

Adya tried again, "Sri. Sri, where do you get yourself lost so quickly? Wait! Do you know what Ridhan was doing here?"

Surya_SK

The past cloaked in secret is soon to be revealed. Wait for the twists and turns.