The Report

By the time 2:30 rolled around, Shadow was exhausted and sweating, but Sonic looked about ready to pass out.

The blue hedgehog sat on a rock, refusing to come near the picnic bench still in fear of splinters. He didn't need a tomato juice bath one day and then splinters in his butt the next. He refused to have that kind of streak - he'd never hear the end of it from Manic and Amy.

"I never thought I was gonna be this sore from this. I mean, I'm at the gym regularly. This is...grueling."

"You're doing a number to your back, that's for sure," Shadow agreed as he rested against one of the sturdy poles of the tower. It didn't look like it was going to split into half with his weight leaned into it, so he took a chance.

"How are you not aching?"

"I'm aching every day," Shadow retorted with rolled eyes.

Snap.

Sonic shot up quickly to attention as Shadow turned his head to the left - east - of them. The bushes were mostly cleared for about a twenty foot radius around the tower. He was getting into thicker vegetation and nearly giving up. Now, he wished he had got more cleared.

"Something's out there," Sonic whispered as he came close to Shadow.

The other didn't make a move. He merely listened.

Snap.

Snap.

Snap.

"Shadow," Sonic pleaded for his mentor to make a move. "What do we do?" he hissed under his breath, trying to stay quiet and calm. But Shadow's demeanor was pissing him off - shouldn't the ranger be worried? Have his gun drawn for an attack? Something was coming towards them for Tikal's sake.

He didn't wanna die here, despite the view. Sonic made a few moves back towards the trail. "Don't move."

"Why not?" Sonic hissed again. "Something's clearly coming towards us. I don't wanna be bear bait."

Shadow made a move for his belt, where Sonic saw his gun and radio. Sonic figured the ebony hedgehog was going to go for the firearm, but instead, Shadow grabbed the radio.

"Iris?" He calmly stated into the radio.

"This is Iris Doe." Sonic's ears perked to hearing Blaze's voice. She sounded tired, as if she'd been trekking uphill for a long time.

"20?" Shadow asked, staring into the bush now as his eyes had caught sight of something that made him grab for his radio.

"10-8."

"Like five feet?"

"Yeah. Tower's right there."

"10-4. Signing off." Shadow turned off his radio and looked at Sonic before motioning to the bush where the sounds were coming from. He was completely at ease and that only ticked Sonic off more.

The blue Mobian snorted and crossed his arms. "What?"

"Listen. Look."

Sonic walked back to Shadow to see where he was looking. In between the bush, he caught a slight glimpse of color. Was that pink? He wasn't sure.

Snap.

Snap.

Snap.

Snap.

THUD.

"OW! WHO PUT THIS BRANCH HERE?!"

Shadow caught himself smirking while Sonic let out an exhale of relief at the sound of Amy's voice, dropping to his knees. The college student had seriously been scared, Shadow realized. His gaze softened as he clasped his hand onto Sonic's shoulder. "Sorry to worry you, but we do have our sense of smell to use as well."