Chapter 16: Scars

11 years ago...

It was... a regular day at the Vestian Outpost. The merchants carried their stuff around while the mercenaries and bounty hunters searched the goods in search of anything useful. Weapons? Armor? Who knows what they were looking for? It was all part of the daily life there. The Vestian Outpost was really the biggest black market in the Solar System, BUT... it was also part of the Reef, and as such, part of the Awoken Kingdom.

Forging a future there was hard for the citizens. The rules established by the royalty didn't help much, and neither did the greatly remarked social levels that existed. However, that didn't stop anyone from trying their best to be happy, adults and kids alike.

There was a boy running happily through the streets at that moment. With only 6 years old, he was doing what any child does at such age: play. He chased other kids around until he caught one of them. Now, he ran away while the kid he caught chased after the others. Then, someone else was caught and turned into the chaser, then another, and then another, and another, and so on...

The first kid was having the time of his life with his friends. Ironic, considering that he would turn out to be all serious in the future. That's right... This boy was none other than Idus.

The kids kept playing Tag for a while, barging into the property of other vendors and merchants. Their little game soon took them to one particular side of the Outpost. Idus was being chased until, suddenly, he was stopped on his tracks by a Reef guard. The boy fell on the ground, angry for the guard was not allowing him to move forward.

"This area is restricted, kid. Leave..." said the man, scaring the other kids who had finally caught up.

"Huh? Why?" asked Idus. "We are just playing!"

The warrior wasn't in the mood to discuss. He took a hold of Idus's arm and dragged him back to his friends. Then, he let go of the boy abruptly only to annoy him more with his attitude. "You and your kind aren't allowed past this point" he mentioned. "Know your place, kid... Or I'll make you know it"

With that, the guard turned around as Idus quickly grabbed a rock. He was about to throw it to the guard while the other kids tried stopping him. But Idus didn't have the chance to retaliate. Everyone's attention was suddenly caught in a bang. A huge explosion had occurred nearby, blowing up several streets and stands. The guard that had previously bothered Idus, headed towards the area of impact, followed by even more guards. What is more, Idus noticed where exactly the explosion had taken place: South from his position, near one of the city limits. In other words, near his house.

"MOM! DAD!" young Idus yelled, forgetting about everything else, and running towards home.

More explosions occurred as he ran desperately. No, that wasn't it. Idus noticed proyectiles that were falling randomly around the outpost, meaning those weren't just explosions... It was a bombardment. The Vestian Outpost was being attacked. By who? Well... Idus looked at the sky and found his answer: An entire fleet of Fallen ships was invading his home.

...

...

...

Back at the present...

Idus kept his gaze in the air, almost as if a memory of the past had popped up in his head. Then, he reacted at the sight of Ravi backing up from Taniks. His friend was risking his life defending him while he laid sorely on the floor.