the best

|||

The sun is already setting as I park my car, and get out of it. The night chill creeps up my arms as I head towards the bar in a heartbeat. Nothing like a little bit of celebrating before the next months of training.

And trust me, I needed another drink.

I smile as I see people filter in and out of the building, the music fleeing from bar as the doors open and close.

Instead of wearing my military uniform, I wear a light blue dress, one that's tight at the top, but loosens into a flowy bottom.

I know it's respectful to wear it and represent your country and who you choose to fight for, but it doesn't give me the respect I deserve.

I head over to the corner of the bar where I know Maverick and Goose are going to be. Maverick and I had a rocky relationship. Sometimes it was good, sometimes it was bad, and other times I was just ugly.

Goose was fine, but I loved his wife Carol more. And sweet little Bradley, he was adorable.

I easily spot them through the crowd, and march my way over to them.

"Well if it isn't Mother Goose and Mav," I said, putting a hand on my hip.

Nick immediately stands up, and gives me a hug. I go on my tiptoes to loop arms around his neck, and then I quickly back away. Maverick is standing up too, but with a drink in his hand. He side hugs me, careful not to let his beer spill. They sit down, and I squeeze my way between them.

"Sophia? Is that really you?" Goose says, pretending that it's been a long time since I've seen the two of them, when it's barely been hours.

"Nick, I know you're a dad now, but I didn't think you were so old that you were going blind," joked.

"Yep, it's her." Pete says, ruining our fun.

I roll my eyes. Getting to the most important subject at hand, I ask Goose, "How's Carole? And sweet little Bradley?"

He always calls his family on Fridays, so I know that he's just barely gotten done with talking about him.

Goose immediately brightens as he brags, "Carole is doing amazing. Brad's being a handful, but him being a toddler is better than a baby."

"Aw, that's great Nick." I turn to Maverick, "Any special lady I should know about?"

It's definitely a loaded question, since half the navy knows he took Penny Benjamin, aka Admiral Benjamin's daughter out for a joy ride. In a government plane.

"No not yet. She's out there." Maverick says half teasingly, but half serious. "What about you Soph, any man that's caught your eye?"

I groan, "You sound like my mother."

My mother. Needless to say, a sensitive topic.

Let's just say I got along better with Maverick than I did her.

"Aunt Linda just wants what's best for you," Goose interjects. "In her own little, special way."

"Linda is the person who didn't want me to go to college. Or the navy. I don't think she even knows me." I stated, as my fingers whisked their away around one of my curls.