the aircraft carrier

|||

Watching F-14s take off of the deck of an aircraft carrier isn't my favorite thing to do, but it is second on my list.

But after being up on night on call and then recon, I guess it's only fair that I leave some leftovers for the boys to pick over.

Most days, I just leave them in the dust.

That's why my callsign is Speedy.

I prefer it over my government name, but I guess in a way, they both are. Legally, my name is Sophia Watson. I'm known as the first female pilot who got accepted and graduated from the Naval Academy. I'm also known as the first woman to finish first in their naval class.

I groan as I hear on the radio that Maverick and Cougar are in the air, with two Russian planes on their tails. Why do they get all of the fun?

My RIO, Brandon Silva, who we've named Clutch, nudges my shoulder. "Come on Speedy, we'll get 'em next time."

I turn to look at him, "We better. They always give us the crappiest assignments, and then the other guys swoop in to take the credit."

Brandon sighs at me, "What else did you expect from your superior officers?"

"Equality," I mutter. I knew better than to keep my hopes up, things take time to change, especially when it came to pilots whose egos were bigger than the sun.

"If it was easy, you wouldn't be the first Sophia." He reminds me.

"I know that Clutch. At least we're not flying cargo planes like the guys who crashed into the wall taxiing down the runaway." I recall of what happened a year ago, and snicker a little bit.

"That's true," he laughs along with me.

We go to the Mess Hall, and I try to scrub a mark off my helmet, while Clutch tries to balance a spoon off his nose.

Idiot.

But there's no one else I would trust to be behind me in the cockpit.

Commander Cain enters, and we both immediately stand at attention, the silverware clattering at the floor.

"At ease. Do I even want to ask, Silva?" He questions.

I relax, but Clutch tenses up, "No, sir," he answers back nervously.

Explanation about the name; Clutch. He wanted to be a pilot, but was afraid of authority. When it came down to it, he bailed out and became a RIO instead.

Clutch had always been a better number cruncher, so I don't think he regrets the switch. Besides, behind every good pilot is someone like him watching their backs.

"Come to my office at 16:00 hours. You have a reassignment." He turns and walks away.

"Reassignment?" I question Clutch.

He shrugs. "Maybe we'll get sent to Top Gun. He is supposed to send 2 pilots and their RIOs this year."

"Do you really think they'd accept a girl there?" I questioned.

"You literally have 2 records at the Navy Academy for fastest courses. And outstanding service since. I can say far less for your cousin—"