I Love You, Goodbye

(Check the link)

Hayley and Jackson were getting married to bridge the gap in the werewolf pack and make everyone stronger without needing the moonlight rings from the witches, getting out of Finn's control.

I had promised to try and save Kol from a hex that Finn had put on him that cursed him to death, without being able to body-jump, because Kol had gotten it by coming to Lenore's shop to try to save me and the vampires. Rebekah couldn't do the magic it took to heal him, and Kol couldn't heal himself, so they needed me. Again.

In Lafayette Cemetery, in the Claire tomb, Kol, Rebekah and I were holding hands, doing a spell to heal Kol, surrounded by lit handles.

I channeled Rebekah's power and tried to heal Kol with the spell. "Voltre mezino cadau. Voltre mezino cadau."

Kol's nose started to bleed. He angrily let go of our hands, swiping many of the materials off of the table, onto the floor, yelling in frustration. "No!"

Rebekah reached out to rub his arm.

I looked at him sympathetically. "Calm down. You need to keep your wits if you're to beat this."

Kol sat down on the bench by the table, looking exhausted and defeated. "There is not beating it." Rebekah and I exchanged a sad look. "It's latched on like a vice."

"So you're giving up?" Rebekah asked. "What happened to the brother I used to know? The one who laughed death in the face?"

"It's a lot easier to do when you haven't died already once," Kol told us. "And I hated it the first time. The ironic thing is that I actually preferred this go-around. Being a witch. No heightened emotion, no bloodlust. It was just me. For a while, anyway."

Kol laughed bitterly.

I didn't know what to say, looking down.

~~

At the wedding, Marcel and I were sitting together.

Hayley slowly walked to the doorway to the ballroom, standing still for a moment as all the guests stood to greet her. She nodded at various people when she saw them, waiting for Jackson.

Jackson appeared behind her a moment later.

Hayley and Jackson took each other's hand, smiling, walking down the aisle. When they reached the two staircases, they split apart so they could each walk up the two staircases, meeting on the balcony, where Jackson's grandmother Mary was waiting for them to preside over the ceremony.

An orchestra played as they made their ascent.

Hayley and Jackson smiled at each other from across the room until they made it to the altar.

"Please, be seated," Mary told us. We all sat back in our chairs. "We gather together as a community seeking peace, inspired by this couple standing before you. There was a time when werewolves saw themselves not as cursed, but blessed with connection to our most pure selves. And tonight, we honor that blessing with the long-awaited unification of the two Crescent bloodlines." Mary performed a hand-fasting by binding Hayley and Jackson's wrists with baby's breath flowers. "In doing so, we choose to embrace Hayley's vampire nature. With this union, Hayley will share her unique gifts with her pack." She placed a long lit match into Hayley and Jackson's linked hands to light their ceremonial candle. "And now, your vows."

Jackson took a deep breath. "I pledge to honor you and defend you and yours above all others."

"To share in blessings and burdens," Hayley told him. "To be your advocate, your champion."