Chapter Two

The Original Order stared at the teens, mouths agape. After a brief but awkward silence, Ivor sighed,
"No wonder the New Order weren't there," He murmured sadly, shoulders slumping a bit, "He's taken them."
Emily rolled her eyes and shook her head,
"So, we're working with frauds. That's just great."
At this comment, everyone's gaze snapped to her. Ellegaard looked hurt, Ivor indignant but somewhat guilty and Gabriel was furious. His dark eyes darkened even more with anger as powerful and dangerous as a storm. He glared at the girl, who went rather pale in the face, but remained otherwise calm.
"You dare," The warrior snarled, moving slowly towards her, "You dare talk about my family in such a way!" With each word he drew closer. "I don't give two sh*ts what you say about me but talk about my family and I will destroy you."
Emily gulped. A diamond sword was now at her throat.
The Order seemed helpless to stop and even rather afraid of their old friend. Bethany's mouth was dry but she did what she'd do for any of them. She pushed Emily away from the sword. Gabriel's eyes followed the blonde before snapping back onto her,
"You think she was right to call them that?!"
"No," Beth replied as calmly as she could, "It wasn't right for her to call you that but sh-she didn't know it would...."
Gabriel's fury became too much and tears filled her eyes as she bowed her head.
To everyone's surprise, except the Order's, Gabriel's expression softened and he bent down to Beth's height. His eyes were devoid of anger and now filled with guilt and pity. He gently placed a hand on the girl's (now shaking) shoulder.
"Bethany, was it?" He asked, in a tone that one would use to comfort a scared baby. Beth nodded.
"I'm sorry for scaring you," He continued gently, "I know my anger scares people but I didn't think that you'd start crying."
"That's not why I'm crying!" Beth glared at him through teary eyes, "I can't take people yelling in general! But oh no, you don't stop to use your brain, do you?"
Ellegaard and Ivor drew in their breath sharply. Surely now she was going to get it! However, all Gabriel did was nod,
"I know. I really ought to consider that some people don't like people yelling, so I'm sorry."
Beth smiled, "I accept your apology."
Gabriel returned the smile and went back to his friends.

That night, the group of motley teens and the Order stayed at the temple. It was only when Emily started gagging did the teens realise how long it had been since they'd last eaten. Ivor looked at them, raising an oddly concerned eyebrow,
"When did you last eat?"
They thought for a moment before Ailsa answered,
"Not since this morning, I don't think."
Murmurs of agreement went around the small group. Emily glared at the shorter girl,
"Shut up, Ailsa!"
Ailsa looked at her, shocked, "I was only answering his-" She began, slightly worried. Emily huffed,
"I don't care, you backstabber!"
Bethany flinched but said nothing, covering her ears in case a shouting match came around, quietly whispering to herself that it had come from hunger. Gabriel sighed and passed food around, muttering how she'd feel better once she ate a substantial meal. The teens ate silently, but gratefully.

The food definitely cooled tempers for a while and the group smiled and laughed as they would have done back home. Until Emily shoved Ailsa to her feet, screaming at the top of her lungs.
"YOU THINK THEY'RE BRAVE?!"
Ailsa stood up with difficulty due to her fake leg,
"YES!"
Bethany was beaten to covering her ears by Cain, who had darted over and covered her ears. Bethany looked at Ashley, who looked equally bewildered as she felt. Her girlfriend shrugged and did the same for Oliver, who was now crying from the noise.
It felt like hours until the argument ended. When it did, Ailsa and Emily were at opposite ends of the temple. Silence hung heavy in the air as Cain and Ashley uncovered their friends' ears. Ellegaard suggested quietly that they turned in for the night. They were tired and wanted nothing better than to sleep.

Bethany lay awake, pretending to be asleep until the Order was fast asleep. She gazed up at the night sky. Despite how many times she'd been caravaning, she'd never seen a sky so full of stars. Something rustled behind her and she turned around. Cain's greenish blue eyes were gazing at her worriedly. She raised an eyebrow as he came and sat next to her.
"I would have thought that you'd be used to a sky like this." He murmured. Bethany chuckled,
"No. Even at campsites you won't a sky so clear and full of stars." She sighed, "Wish I had my fiddle toy."
Cain made a sympathetic noise in the back of his throat.
Bethany's gaze turned to him, "How are you not worried about your siblings."
"I am."
Silence fell before Bethany starting shaking, her eyes growing wet again (how many times had she cried today?). It seemed as though the prospect of missing family had only just hit her. She raised a hand to her mouth to muffle a sob. Cain looked at her,
"You o-"
"My poor baby siblings!" The girl yelled unexpectedly. Sobs shook her body, "What if that thing's killed them?!"
Cain, almost tentatively, patted her back. To his surprise, she moved closer and buried her face in his chest. All her problems seemed to come out at once. How she wished she had been taken as well as her siblings. How she wanted her mother. How she'd do anything to see her dad again. How she wanted her bear to cuddle for comfort.
Cain put his arms around her, wishing he knew what to say or do. He knew she did not cry easily. When she did cry, it meant she was comfortable with those around her. Eventually, he just decided to let her cry. To let it all out.
After some time, she calmed down. Cain sighed, "I'm sorry I did nothing."
Bethany chuckled weakly, her voice hoarse from crying, "I needed it."
Cain smiled gently. Bethany returned it,
"Anything you wanna talk about?"
"No. Just how I don't like seeing my little sister so sad."
Bethany's eyes sparkled at the words 'little sister'. Then she smiled a kind smile Cain had never seen,
"If there is anything, you can tell me. There's no need to be so stoic."
With that, she curled up. She was so exhausted from crying that she fell asleep right away.