ϟ 02 | What's there to lose?

Riding the Hogwarts Express, travelling to Hogwarts by carriage, and the Sorting hat of the first years quickly come and go. You feel as though you're living on autopilot the moment you even returned to Hogwarts. Draco refrained from speaking to you the moment you both left the Malfoy Manor. You purposely don't go out of your way to look for Harry. You've masterminded your whole persona as this quiet and elusive Ravenclaw friend of his. 

A girl Harry seeks out when he's at his most lowest. Keep your friends close but your enemies closer is your constant mentality when it comes to Harry Potter. You've been told numerous times how much Voldemort despises Harry and his parents. The night of October 31st is when Voldemort killed both Harry's parents but failed to kill the young boy himself. Somehow Harry at the age of one had killed the greatest evil wizard of all time. 

You're always deep in your own thoughts but you're pulled out of it when you hear Dumbledore's clear voice. The man speaks with great confidence. His voice alone can grab ahold the attention of thousands. You can listen to Dumbledore speak about nonsense and still be gravitated to every word despite the man also being your enemy. "Now with great honor I will like to announce that Hogwarts will be hosting the Triwizard Tournament!"

Several hushed murmurs from each house begins to fill the dining hall. You're in bewilderment from the news. The Triwizard Tournament is a magical contest held between the three largest wizarding schools of Europe. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Durmstrung Institute from northern Europe and the Beauxbatons Academy from France. The doors of the dining hall swings open and a grand entrance from both schools and their Headmaster and Headmistress enter. 

Loud applauses from the students of Hogwarts welcomes the students from the neighboring schools. Dumbledore announces that there will be a Goblet stationed in the entrance hall for those who are courageous enough to enter. Those who are seventeen may participate and anyone younger will not have a chance. The tournament is notorious for being dangerous which is why the tournaments ceased to exist after the high death toll.

With great sacrifices comes with great rewards. "The winning champion will receive a Triwizard cup, 1000 Galleons and 'eternal glory'!" Dumbledore announces with great joy. Cheers and applause erupt in the dining hall that fills your ears. You make eye contact with Draco as Dumbledore ends the speech. "I look forward to seeing who will be our chosen champions. Good luck to all of you who decide to put your name in the Goblet of Fire."

You wonder if Draco will take a go at the tournament. The boy is always itching to cause trouble and prove to others that he's the "chosen one". Draco casts his eyes to the side of the dining hall entrance quickly when he returns his gaze on you. You can only assume he wants to chat with you. Not like you plan to eat anything after still not having an appetite. You slowly get up from the long dining table and weave yourself outside. 

Keeping your eyes away from others, you weasel yourself towards the courtyard. The area is quiet with no students around as most are still in the dining hall. Your eyes easily meet the bright moon that shines above you in the dark sky that is littered with twinkling stars. Your ears pick up on the sound of someone approaching you from behind. Their shoes grind against the brick underneath their feet when they halt just a few inches away from you. 

"Are you entering the tournament?" You speak into the cold night air. There's no response at first. But an exhale and voice speaks up a minute later. "Of course. This is a once in a lifetime moment. Father will be proud of me as well." Draco speaks curtly, his eyes drilling the back of your head. 

You drop your gaze from the moon to turn around to look at Draco. His eyes are always cold and glaring. "Are you?" Draco narrows his eyes when he asks this question of you. You exhale and run your fingers through your hair. "Why not. I have nothing to lose." You lack any emotion when you reply to the Slytherin boy.