ϟ 21 | I'm sorry

Draco's heart is in his throat when he storms down the corridor of Hogwarts. Several thoughts swarm his mind as his shoes echo loudly in his ears. After multiple sharp turns, Draco slows down when he looks over at an empty wall. The castle is quiet. Deathly quiet. The boy inhales deeply before visualizing the Room of Hidden Things.

The moment Draco takes the first step in here, is when one end of the domino's fall. The other end is Y/N's. Draco hopes the two will meet up together on the final piece. Chills litter Draco's body when he's surrounded by numerous items left behind for hundreds of years. Items that meant great importance to someone. Each one telling a story that Draco will never learn. 

His footsteps quicken towards a specific large item. The Vanishing Cabinet stares back at Draco. Draco looks around for a green apple he's brought here last night. This apple will be a sign for the Death Eaters to take a bite and return it to him. Once he takes a bite on the opposite end, the others are to use the closet. Draco stares at the apple that sits between his fingertips. 

Draco's light grey eyes waver as his emotions are beginning to fall at the seams. War is going to happen right now. Underneath everyone's nose. Draco's hand trembles when he sets the apple inside the cabinet. He closes it with a soft click and silently stares at the furniture. Draco shivers in response when he hears something. 

He slowly pries the door open and the apple is eaten on one side. Lips trembling, eyes wavering, and stomach flipping, Draco reaches for the apple and takes a bite on the opposite end. He then closes the cabinet again. No time is wasted when he hears a knock on the door and it opens on it's own. Draco takes a step back as he watches the first Death Eater emerge. 

"Well done my boy. You're not completely useless after all." Bellatrix's voice is easily noticeable behind her mask. She pokes Draco's cheek with the tip of her wand. Draco gulps in response without uttering a word. Bellatrix skips away as she looks around the room in awe. One by one Draco watches several Death Eaters enter the room. 

Finally it is his mother and father who are the last to join the room. Lucius and Narcissa eye Draco with a shine in their eyes. One of proudness that he's managed to pull this off so far. Narcissa pulls out a mask from her cloak to hand to Draco. Draco drops his eyes to the mask before taking it from his mother. He quietly puts it over his face. "We must not waste time. Let's go have some fun!" Bellatrix cackles as she waits for Draco to lead the group out. 

Inhaling deeply, Draco exhales slowly under his staggered breath. Draco grabs his spare cloak he's set off to the side and drapes it over himself. He keeps his eyes down when he leads the group forward. The boy digs his fingernails into his palms to rid of his anxiety. But there's too much fear in Draco's body. He wishes to not aid in this massacre. But the choice is no longer his. Draco never did have a choice to begin with. 

The only choice Draco will make for himself is to find Y/N. He'll have to find a way to slip away from the Death Eaters. The large group exit the Hidden Room of Things. Bellatrix cackles loudly as she runs ahead with her wand out. "Remember our goal! Every Professor must die!" Lucius calls out loudly as the group begins to scatter. 

The large group splits up into four. Each group taking care of all directions of the castle. North, East, South, and West. Draco is to follow his parents but his legs are ready to turn around to reach the forbidden forest. But it's too soon for him to slip away. He keeps close to his mother as his father leads the group. Draco feels his mothers eyes on him multiple times. 

Does she know what he's planning to do? Mother's intuition? How is Draco to slip away if she's constantly eyeing him? "Always be in pairs Draco." The words that leaves Narcissa's lips is one that rattles Draco's emotions. Her eyes flick quickly as if she's telling Draco to leave. When the group turns around the corner, Draco staggers back and runs the opposite direction. The boy silently thanks his mother for her words.