A Guy Who Listens

As Jen drove over the speed limit in her rust bucket, her brother held on for dear life. Every twist and turn was complemented by the alternative rock music blasting through her speakers. She was so enthralled in her music that when the singer's voice would change into a death metal growl, she lowered her own to match.

"...I AM THE STORM THAT IS APPROACHING-"

"...uh Jen?"

"PRE~VO~KING, BLACK CLOUDS IN I~SOLA~TION-"

"Jennn?"

"I AM RECLAIMER OF MY NA~AME!"

"Jen!"

"What!?"

She then hit the break at a red light. As she did, Alex was flung forward into the dash, as the old seatbelt nearly gave way.

"Ugh!"

"What is it, you little shit?"

"Ca-can I ask you something?"

"Ugh!" She slowly turned down her music and begrudgingly listened to her little brother.

"What can I do you for, baby bro?"

"Uh well, it's... personal."

"Oh God! No no no, Dad is supposed to talk to you about this, not me."

"What? What are you talking about?"

"Oh! No-nothing, what are you talking about?"

"Nailah!"

"Oh!" She then stopped at another red light, this time using it to look at her brother.

"Thinking about confessing to that little wolf girl?"

He began to blush, "What!? No! And she's not a wolf girl, she just likes to wear the ears of Lyorca, Huntress of the wild. You'd know that if you actually watched episode 37 of the new season. The re-released version of course."

"That's... interesting. Well as dorky, and creepy, as that was, you're actually on the right path."

"Huh?"

"You're already remembering the things she likes."

She smiled and showed her necklace. It was a silver chain that held a small blade at the end. She slowly clutched it lovingly in her hand as the light turned green. As she proceeded to drive, she spoke with a smile.

"We like that kinda stuff. See, you boys are all so stupid, and you're easly distracted. We just wanna know, that no matter what, we're your number one..."

Alex simply sat there, almost too stunned to speak. Seeing his sister actually happy without having to torment him almost made him faint, but he was now beginning to understand things more and more.

"Di...did either of you catch a feather?"

Jen let go of her necklace and her smile faded. Now, with both hands on the wheel, she simply looked forward at the road ahead of her.