An Elusive Melody

When I arrived in Storybrooke, I never thought I'd end up with such a wonderful family like the Charmings taking care of me. I didn't deserve to have such kindness shown to me, yet David and Mary showed it anyway. That's when things got a little weird.

I should've told them why I'd come to Storybrooke, and not any other wayside small town that was closer to my previous location. I should've told them I knew all about how the people of this town are actually fairytale characters. I should've told them that that's why I came there. I should've told them who I really was: I should've told them I was the Pied Piper of Hamilan, that I had known since my powers "accidentally" "showed up" when I was small.

Naturally, I had a talent for music. Being who I was, I could play any instrument flawlessly and my voice was melodious. Though I admit to being a tad reckless, if I ever felt that I needed an escape, music provided one. I spent a lot of my time in my music, so I went to the woods to hang out. The children were safe from my influence and I could act as crazy and have as much fun in such a secluded place. And honestly, the forest was absolutely beautiful. There was a lot of uncharted territory to be explored, so I mapped quite a bit if I ever found a new place.

Of course, after so much time outside, I got quite a bit of need for action and adrenaline. Was I a wild child, a daredevil? Hell yeah I was. I'd run through the trees at top speed for the absolute rush. I'd climb out and sit on shaky limbs of the old trees. And most of all, I loved to hike up to the cliffs and dangle my legs from the ledges.

So that's the beginning of my story. But it's not that simple, nor is it over.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I layed on a big stiff limb, listened to All Time Low's Somewhere In Neverland, and wrote in my journal like I usually did. Except something kind of awful and kind of my fault happened that day. I'd lost control...I'd lashed out and screamed like a banshee in a rage. I woke up after my scream used all my energy and I passed out. But the sight I woke up to reminded me just how dangerous and evil I was. Don't get me wrong, there were moments where I enjoyed being good and evil at the same time, but sometimes, I couldn't face myself. Today was one of those days.

The guy at school who'd been threatening me was lying on the floor, his hands cupped over his ears, and he was crying. As soon as he saw me, he turned his head, afraid to face me. I reached out and touched the side of his head. He turned to face me.

"Wh-What are you?" He asked as a tear rolled down his cheek.

"I'm sorry," I replied as I got up and ran outside. Making a mad dash for the woods, the tears poured down my cheeks. As I continued to run full speed to my Thinking Tree, I panicked even more over my loss of control. What kind of monster am I? was all I could think.

Once I'd made it to my tree, I broke down. Losing myself in my tears, I heaved and gasped. My body wracked with sobs.

"What have I done?" I coughed. In the woods, I was all alone, or so I thought, so I let myself cry it out. Guilt found me and regret came soon after it. And fear. Fear that I'd revealed my secret, exposed myself as...a monster.

Suddenly, I didn't feel as alone as I first thought. Feeling a hand on my shoulder, I whipped around, terrified to who it would be. Staring down at me was a tall boy, about my age, and his face showed concern.

"Are you alright? I mean you're crying, so you're clearly not, but would you like some assistance?" He asked sheepishly, but attentively.

"No, please. You should just go. I only got what I deserved," I mumbled, my throat sore.

He sat down next to me, looking to see if I was hurt.

"No one deserves to hurt this badly," he simply responded.