𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞 - 𝐜 + 𝐡

- cassandra 'cass, cas, cassie' pov - chapter twenty one
- august 26th 2022, girls who cry (gwc) 21 - 21

hailey puts a blue 7 card in the spot between us.

i search my deck of cards to find something to counter that, but i have nothing. i lean forward a bit and pull a card from the deck a person is to pull cards from, immediately feeling a lil happy when the card i took turns out to be a red 7. i place it in the spot and get back comfortable in my spot against my headboard. "your turn,"

somewhere on my vanity sits a framed photo strip of me, hailey, and reign at the movies photoed by the new picture booth the theater had just installed in their establishment.

we took a lot of good ones but my favorite is the third one.

the machine suggested us to do funny faces but hailey decided to kiss me and reign rolled her eyes; the booth captured at it the right moment. i have my favorite 2 people in the same picture. anyway, next to the photo strip sits the mini speaker hailey keeps leaving behind. and because she keeps leaving it behind so often, i've started to consider the thing mine. it plays 'esta dañada' by ivan cornejo, but softly. loud, but not loud enough to disturb others.

hailey hums slowly as she sloppily places a red 6 card in the pile of the discarded cards we've thrown out in our very long game of uno. we should have finished 10 minutes ago but hailey's stubborn and competitive and won't let me win for shit. like, every time i think i'm ready to wrap the game up with a win, here comes hail with a 'draw 4', and she won't even leave it at a 'draw 4'. after that card, she just ready to start pulling out all types of shit just to make it worse on me; it's very mean, actually.

it's not giving 'in love' behavior. if she loved me like, actually - actually, she'd let me win uno.

i throw out a red 2 and hailey quickly puts down a red 9 before looking up at me. "guess what's coming up,"

my eyebrows furrow a bit but i still try and focus on the game as i reply with an answer. "umm.. like, a holiday?"

"eh. kinda, but not really."

with no more reds in my group of cards, i start pulling until i'm lucky to find something that goes along with the red 9 she put out. "um.. i don't know." i mumble. "halloween?"

it takes some time until i get it, but i finally get a yellow 9 and place it in the pile. after i do, i sit back and patiently wait for hailey to go, but it looks as if though she's taking her time.

"hailey-"

she puts a 'draw 4' between us and tilts her head to the side, looking at me in the way she wasn't looking at me before. "our 1 year anniversary." she corrects. my heart drops. i'm very confident in the fact that it's evident on my face. "in less than a week.." she keeps on. "it will be our 1 year anniversary. we're about to be together for a year."

"oh." i breathe softly, beginning to pull cards from the deck. ".. right,"

hailey chuckles, smiling softly. "you forgot?"

i look up at her quick. "i didn't forget, hail."

"you totally did."

"how are you gonna tell me wether or not i forgot something?"

"because you acted like you forgot."

"i didn't though! why would i forget something like that?"

she holds up her hands in surrender, the few cards she had being held between her fingers as her eyebrows raise. "ay, whoa, are you about to beat my ass something?" she asks, soft laughs passing her lips in unbelief. "it is totally not that serious, cassandra. aia wau me ka honua. malie au. e malie? i thought you forgot. if you did, it's cool and if you didn't forget, that's even cooler. ko'u ino." she finishes.