𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨 - 𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐩𝐩𝐢𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐝𝐝: 𝐩𝐥𝐬 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐰 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐲

hailey's pov
october 19th 2022

"aohe holo!" makua kāne calls after me as i rush past him, maneuvering past overly priced pieces of shitty home decor  he got as a gift from rich white men in black suits.

i smile a little, slowing down a little but not all the way. "fuck are you, a life guard?"

"a life guard.." i hear him mutter in confusion as i disappear down the basement stairs.

"yeah, because life guards say that kind of thing to kids because they want them to not run by the pool!" i call loudly, not caring enough if he heard my explanation.

if i did, i woulda replied to him in hawaiian so he'd understand me better.

by the time i get to the bottom of the basement stairs, it looks like rosie already had it in her mind to come up or something. she look at me when i skip a few steps to get down faster. ".. what you doing down here?"

i feel like i smile bigger as i flash a baseball at her. "i found the baseball kei got bellinger to sign for me. let's go play catch?"

rosie look.. sadly irritatied for the whole moment it take for her to finally reply. "nah, hailey." she tell me, shaking her head 'no', crossing her arms over her chest. "i got plans."

"yeah, you do." i nod, smiling still. "with me,"

she sighs, but i just continue. "come on, roslyn, let's just go before my dad gets done with dinner. you know he cooks fast."

"i told you, 'no', hailey. i'm on my way to go out with mar, he taking me out."

i tilt my head to side a lil bit, "and.." i take a minute, "and, what?" i ask with a shrug, playing with the ball in my hands. "you weren't gonna tell me?"

roslyn nods really fast. "yeah, actually, because i didn't and still don't, have to. if i wanna go out with somebody, i can."

"i didn't say you couldn't."

"then what you saying?"

i freeze for a second, going over every word in my head that wanna be spoken aloud.

i can't speak every word in my head though. i have, and shit never went well.

not going over words in your head that wanna be spoken out loud end up with people not wanna to be yo friend no more, girls crying, boys crying, moms crying, blah blah..

"well, i'm not saying anything." i tell her, taking a deep breath at the same time. "all i asked is if we could play catch before dinner. that's all, rosie. i'm sorry if i came off wrong, i didn't mean to. shit was so unintentional."

"i appreciate that, and i appreciate your offer," without looking, i watch as rosie closes the door to the guest room she been staying in ever since she flew out here. and she do it all while she continues, "but i don't wanna play catch, hailey. i wanna go spend time with my boyfriend."

i grin at her but it's not like, a real one. "it's a free country and shit. you can do that."

"i'm aware.." she mumbles, walking past me, starting her way up the stairs.