𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞 - 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐲

- cassandra 'cass, cas, cassie' pov - sixty one
may 1st 2023, girls who cry (gwc) 61 - 61

"you see, purlie? this the kinda shit that happens when you wanna be a cheapstake and get yo' bike from the superstore, not supporting local businesses."

purlie let's out a judgemental hum. "sad,"

"oh wow really? 'cause don't you act like you support local businesses purlie," i grumble, doing my best to fix my slipped chain under this beaming sun. "you got yo' bike from a yard sale."

"uh, so? it still count! i'm giving back to the community, that's what i'm doing."

"no, actually." i argue as i begin to lift the chain onto it's ring. "you just giving back to the man who sold you the bike."

"right, but it's basically helping a person in my community," she argues, and even without looking up at her, i already know she looking at adanna for some kind of backup. knowing adanna, and their relationship well in general, she's gonna come through for her. danna's like that with everyone though so, no hard feelings. "-which in turn, circles back to giving back to the community, .. right?"

"yeahh," adanna agrees slowly, probably nodding her head even slower. "it do be all about perspective cassie."

instead of a real answer, i blow out a breath of air through my nose, only halfway fed-up with this stupid chain and it's lack of cooperation. i really don't feel like walking this thing all the way back to campus, but it's looking like that's what's about to go down. it really does sucks though 'cause we're a few miles away.

i stand up from off of my knees and throw out my now, oily and dirty hands in an attempt to get some of the filth off. doesn't do much though, i won't lie. "it keeps slipping," i tell them.

"mm," adanna pouts out her bottom lip and looks behind me some, glancing down at my chain that's on its ring. "look fine to me,"

"it's gonna slip if i try to ride it, i know for sure."

"dang," purlie mumbles, turning her head to look down at the literal long bike lane we have ahead of us. "and we definitely can't leave it here and come back for it.."

"right, so we just gon' have to walk the rest of the way." adanna decides with a sigh, taking hold of her handlebars as she kicks her stand up, allowing her cruiser to balance on it's two wheels.

feeling guilty because why wouldn't i, i simply apologize, heat pricking up the back of my neck for all the wrong reason. purlie just waves me off though, not really trying to hear it as she takes hold of her purple road bike. "it's fine honestly. won't be nothing if we talk while we walk and i love talking. y'all know this."

"that's because all you do is talk." adanna scoffs and begins walking. purlie has no trouble with following right up behind her, but i'm a lil' slow to start. "we only know 'cause it's what you do."

"uh girl, you talk too." purlie says with a tone. "so won't you gon' ahead and get out of there."

"get out of where?" she asks.

"my ass,"

"you're getting her upset, danna." i chuckle, looking down at the sidewalk as i walk my bike along.

adanna waves me off. "she'll be okay,"

in fact, eventually we all prove to be. the walk is long, but the three of us all talk for majority of it. purlie goes on about some lecture she hates talking, adanna catches us up on the latest news with her estranged cousin who also goes to ubc (she's a junior), and then purlie goes on again but this time, about a boy who she likes but unfortunately for her, the feeling isn't mutual.