Alternative Ending Part 1

A/N: Hi readers! By popular request, I have created an alternate ending. This ending is 'non-canon' within the Soul Revitalization Chronicles, but I created it for the readers who do not wish to read the other books or who just want to see how Ami's life would have played out if she didn't die. If you go to read my other stories, note the original ending is how the next story will start, and will not be based on these alternate chapters at all.

~ Ami POV at death ~

I smile up to the clouds, seeing birds flying together in the sky. I smile at my death because there are so many people here that care about me, and that I care about in return. I never had this in the last life, I never had comrades and friends who would go into war alongside me, and I with them. I never had someone I cared so much about that I would die for them.

I can rest now, knowing that they will be ok after this war, that Sasuke and Naruto will end this with Kakashi. I close my eyes as I feel the cloudy darkness of death taking over me, taking one last look into all my friends eyes who have gathered around me. I am so thankful to have gotten to know all these wonderful people.

Once I know I have died, I look all around me, feeling a difference in the darkness. It's not the stillness of darkness I was just in, this one is alive, moving, and has a strong presence. I remember this darkness. My eyes took a moment to adjust to the different appearance of the darkness after being in an animated world for so long.

"Death?" I call out sadly, looking for the floating entity. They appear before me, just as they had the first time. "I died again, didn't I?" I ask plainly, not ready to accept the truth. My emotions start to bubble up, the realization that I can't see my friends again, can't be with my brother again, all is starting to hit me.

"Yes, you did." Death says, their voice once again emanating from everywhere around me, yet also inside of my head. "Your soul this time is stronger than last. I can see it, you learned the true importance of friends." I sob at that, the finality of it all hitting me. I try to reign it in after a few minutes of silent tears, answering Death's unasked question.

"Yes, I did. It's not the people who are near you by association or convenience, it's the ones who will go into a war with you, and fight with you. True friends are those who will match the distance you are willing to go for them. Friends are those who don't give up on you, no matter your traits, who accept you for who you are." I say, and feel myself tearing up again. "I'm not going back to them, am I?" I ask in sorrow, already knowing the answer.

"Your time there is not yet done.." Death says after a moment, and I look up at their hooded face, trying not to feel the hope started to grow inside of me. "Perhaps... there is more your soul can learn from that world. When next we meet again, you will tell me all you have learned, and I shall judge if your soul is revitalized enough."

"I'm going back?" I ask in a disbelieving whisper. 

Death doesn't answer, they simply start to fade away into their realm. A glow of green forms behind me, and I can feel the darkness and presence of the realm I am in start to change, until all I can see is a bright, animated, green glow surrounding me. 

I gasp and shoot my eyes open when I feel myself back in my body, my eyes being blinded by the bright sky above me as I lay in someone's arms, alive and unharmed.

"Ami!" Neji's voice pulls my shocked focus to him, seeing he is the one holding my body currently.

"Nii-san?" I ask in confusion. "How am I here? I died."

"You were brought back." He answers, and I can see more green orbs flying through the sky before abruptly ending. 

I throw my arms around Neji's neck and cry into his shoulder, feeling him wrap his arms tightly around my shoulders and holding me to him, his body shaking with a sob sounding from his throat.