Chapter 1

(Mabel pov)

7 years ago

I feel Dipper shaking my shoulder. "Mabel, wake up wake up."

"Go back to sleep Dipper."

"I can't." I feel him flop himself on top of me. "The sky is awake, so I'm awake. And that means we have to play."

"Go play by yourself." I push him off the bed before snuggling back into my warm blankets.

I feel him climb back onto my bed. "Do you wanna build a snowman?" I open my eyes looking up at his smile, knowing full well that he knows I can't resist doing that of all things.

"Go get the boots."

"Yes!" He excitedly jumps off the bed as I sit up, the northern lights from outside lighting up the room.

"Be quiet. Remember, Mom and Dad don't like us doing this at night."

He brings over our winter boots and we both pull them on. I take his hand as we run down the halls and stairs to the ballroom, shutting the doors behind us.

I wave my hands in small circles around each other as small snowflakes slowly form into a snowball. I watch him looking at it with pure joy and amazement.

"You ready, dipstick?"

"Yeah!"

I shoot it up towards the ceiling where it burst and it starts snowing inside the room.

"Watch this." I stomp on the ground and the entire floor turns into ice, him laughing as he tries to keep his balance on it.

I wave my hand making more patches of snow. He starts rolling one snowball while I roll a bigger one. He puts his on top of the one I made. I add a carrot, some stick arms, and some coal before I turn it to face him and stand behind it moving it's arms.

"Hello, I'm Olaf. And I like warm hugs."

He laughs as he hugs the snowman. He holds onto Olaf's arms as I use my powers to make them glide around the ice as if they were dancing.

I make a big mountain of snow under us and together we slide down it, him jumping onto another pile of snow as I jump down onto the ice.

"Catch me Mabel!" He jumps and I make another snow mound but bigger.

"I got ya."

"Again!"

He jumps again and I make another one. He goes again and again, me making more snow mounds but each one is bigger and he's going faster so it's getting harder to keep up with him.

"Dipper, slow down!"

My feet slip out from under me sending me hard on my back as he jumps again.

"Dipper!" I throw my hand out to make another snow mound but instead it strikes him in the head. I hear him cry out in pain before he lands in a small snow pile.

"No no no...." I run over to him, shaking his shoulders. "Dipper?" I watch in horror as a strand of his hair turns an icy blue. I hold him to my chest, gently rocking him. "Mom! Dad!" I scream out, feeling tears spreading down my cheeks.

More ice speads out over the room, but it's different than before. I'm not trying to make the ice appear this time.

The doors burst open as both Mom and Dad look around the room in horror before running over to us.

"Mabel, what have you done? This is getting out of hand!"

"I'm sorry, we were just playing."

Mom takes Dipper into her arms, her face growing pale as she looks at my dad. "He's as cold as ice. What do we do?"

"I know where to go." He grabs my hand pulling me up to my feet as he rushes us out to the stables. Mom gets on a horse as she holds Dipper and I get on a horse with Dad.

"Dad, where are we going?"

"You'll see when we get there, sweetheart."

He rides out, Mom following on her horse. He rides us out of the kingdom and into the forest. I look behind us seeing that behind me and dad is a trail of ice.

Is that because of me? Am I doing that? I'm not even doing anything though.

He gets off the horse helping me down before helping mom off of hers. He leads us into the middle of a field of rocks.

"Please help! My son!"

All of the rocks roll towards us before they form into trolls. I hold onto dad's hand tightly in fear.

"It's okay. They won't hurt us."

One comes out and I get the feeling that he's the troll in charge.

"Your majesty. Born with powers or cursed?"

"Born. And they're getting stronger."

"Here here." My mom brings Dipper over to him and he puts a hand on Dipper's forehead. "You're lucky it wasn't the heart. The heart can't easily be changed, but the head can be persuaded."

"Do what you must."

"I reccomend we remove all magic, even memories." I watch as the memories of my powers are changed so instead it's just us playing outside in the snow. "Don't worry, I'll keep the fun." He puts the memories back in Dipper's head, Dipper seeing to relax in his sleep now. "He'll be okay."

"But he won't remember that I have powers?"

My dad puts a comforting hand on my shoulder. "It's for the best."

"Mabel, your power will only grow. There's beauty in it." He uses powers to make a image of me creating snowflakes appear. "But there is also great danger." The snowflakes turn into red spikes. "You must learn to control it. Fear will be your enemy."

The spikes turn to angry people and I hide my face into my dad's side in fear.

"No, she'll learn to control it, I'm sure. Until then we'll lock the gates. Reduce the staff. Hide her powers from everyone and anyone. Including Dipper."

"But, Dad, for how long?" I ask as I look up at him.

"Not for long. Just until you learn to control it sweetie. Not long at all."