Chapter 28

EVE

Lizzie and I were still adjusting to the move a few weeks later. It was so different living here compared to New Mexico. We took advantage of this walkable little town by taking nightly strolls. It was a great way to meet our new neighbors as well. Everybody knew Damon, it seemed, so any time he was with us he would introduce us to new people. At this point, I think we knew almost everybody on our street.

Damon keeps himself busy working at the bar, but when he isn’t working he is usually with us. We even made a day trip to Denver to get Lizzie all ready for high school. There are plenty of other places we could have gone, but Damon wanted to take her to the mall and there was no telling him no. Lizzie wasn’t going to fight it either. She was overjoyed when he splurged on a ridiculously expensive pair of shoes that all the kids were wearing.

The two of them have really bonded and it makes me so damn happy. I was worried at first, with my relationship history, specifically my second husband, but Damon has never left Lizzie out and always thinks about her first. Their favorite thing to do is go to the farmer’s market on Saturday mornings and make dinner on Saturday nights. He taught her a lot of new recipes and she shared some of her favorite baking tricks. The two were meant for each other.

This weekend is Labor Day weekend and school starts on Tuesday so it is our weekend to enjoy the lazy days and the late nights. Lizzie was still sleeping, because teenagers, but the doorbell rang and as I head downstairs I hear her door open.

 “Who is that?” She rubs her eyes and I look at her wild and crazy morning-turned-afternoon bedhead.

 “Not sure.” I swing the door open and there stands Toni, Jolie, and Eden with smiles on their faces.

 “Surprise!” they all yell in unison.

“Um, hello?” I reply, still a bit confused. “What exactly is the surprise that you’re giving me?”

 “Can we come in?” Toni asks, but she doesn’t wait for an answer, moving right past me.

 “Yeah, of course,” I reply sarcastically. Jolie and Eden were more polite, waiting for me to step aside so they could walk in. We all headed into the living room where Toni was already making herself at home on the couch.

 “Are you going to tell me what is up now?” I say as I take a seat next to Toni.

 “We’re here to get you ready,” Eden grinned.

 “What am I getting ready for? I had big plans to organize the baby’s room today.”

Jolie waved her hand, “There will be plenty of time for that! Your surprise is already downtown waiting for you and we’ve been sent with strict instructions to get you two ready.”

 “I’m so confused right now.”

 Lizzie, hearing the gal’s voices, made her way into the living room. “What’s going on, mom?”

 I shrug, “I have no idea. These three aren’t being very specific.”

 “Enough chit-chat, these are for you two. Go get dressed and we’ll get going.” Eden holds up a bag from one of the small boutiques in town and Jolie passes another one to Lizzie.

 “I’m so confused,” I repeat.

Toni laughed, “Stop being confused and just so get ready.” 

“Ugh, I haven’t even had breakfast,” Lizzie groans

 “Don’t worry,” Jolie looped her arm in Lizzie’s, “there is plenty of food where we are going. Now let’s get to it before we get in trouble for you all taking too long.”