Responsible Or Not? ❀

A week later

Da-Yeong

Another sleepless night later, he woke up again this morning to rush to the main courtyard and see how the preparations were going on. The King was at rest due to a slight cold and he was in charge of checking how things in the Palace were going, especially the preparations for the Royal Marriage while also attending his lectures.

Another week later, his wedding will be hoisted in this main courtyard, now decorated with flowers and silk.

A week later, he would become a husband, he would be given the responsibility of a girl.

He had no problem with responsibilities. Being the eldest son and the Crown Prince, he grew up to be a responsible person. But taking responsibility for an unknown girl? He had no idea who Jung Mae-In was, yet. How is he going to take her responsibility?

Yet again, this was the rule of Royal marriages, marrying someone you knew nothing about.

Jung Mae-In was a lively, cheery and brave girl, not to mention, a bit mischievous and troublesome too... just like the Late Queen wanted her daughter-in-law to be like.

The Late Queen Seo-Ryeon was a loveable and generous queen. She was very fond of her family. But sadly, she passed away from an illness she had. Her last wish, he remembered was for him to bring home a lively and brave girl, a rightful queen of the nation and protect her from all evils.

8 years ago

"Your Highness! Please hold on for a minute, Your Highness! The Royal Physician is on his way!" the Queen's Court Lady cried out.

"Court Lady Kim... can you take care of my children, please?" the Queen's voice was a mere whisper so that the Court Lady had to lean closer to hear.

"Your Highness, do not say that!" the Court Lady cried out again.

"But I cannot hold on anymore..." the Queen laughed, tears rolling down her face.

Da-Yeong was standing in a dark corner of the room, too scared to talk or even move. He was shaking from head to toe and crying silently. Why can't the Royal Physician just hurry up?

Just at that moment, the doors flung open and in came the King, his father, wearing a kind of tensed and stressed expression on his face. Following him came the princess, his sister and his brother, the young prince.

The princess broke down into tears at once and held the Queen's hands firmly. "Mother. Mother you can't leave us, Mother, no!" she sobbed. "I am sorry, please forgive me," the Queen smiled through the tears she shed.

She motioned for the young prince to come forward and when he did, she said, "Please grow up without me... And forget me." He was about to say something when suddenly she called Da-Yeong and he stepped forward.

"You too, please forget about me," she whispered. "Motherㅡ" Da-Yeong was about to protest but then the Queen said, "You will be of age soon... I want you to bring home a lively and brave girl for the next rightful ruler... Ask her to forgive me since I can't even hold on to see her face..."

"MOTHER!" the princess screamed again.

"Leave us alone," the King ordered quietly.