Amelia - On the Run

I grab my backpack and rush to fill it with only the essentials. As much as I would love to take some books to read or journals to write in I know that I can lie without those things, as hard as it is for me to admit that, the only thing that I do grab that isn't essential is the journal that my uncle gave me. Out of everyone in my estranged family, he is the one whose presents mean something to me.

Other than this journal.

I'm not sure what it is but there's something about this old thing that almost makes it seem like it needs me as much as I need it. It sounds stupid, and I stopped believing in things like that long ago but it's the truth. Ever since I got this stupid thing it's been making me think about things that I would rather not be thinking about.

I grab the different groups of money I've been hiding in my room and put them all together before tucking them safely away in my jacket pocket closest to my chest and leaving my room. I'm over 18 so I'm officially an adult and am allowed to do whatever I want within the law, so when my parents notice that I'm gone, if they even do, then they can't do anything about it because I am an adult.

The lights are on downstairs and I can hear my parents talking about me in the kitchen. They're probably drinking an expensive bottle of wine that they can no longer afford to buy and are probably too drunk to even notice if I make any sounds on the way out, so I don't bother trying to mask any noise that I make. They will notice in the morning though if one of the vehicles is missing so I decide on using the mode of transportation that I hate oh so much and make my way to the closest bus shelter.

Thankfully, I don't have to wait long for a bus to come, I wait patiently on those ahead of me and get on when it's my turn to board the bus. The driver gives me a polite smile as I give him some change and take a seat that is closest to the door. I don't have anywhere in particular to go so I think about what my current options are. I can try and find a hotel to stay in for the night and hope that it won't cost all my money or I can try to find a restaurant that might still be open at this time of night.

As good as food sounds right now I know that it would mean nothing if I don't have anywhere to stay for the night.

So I go on a roundless trip on a bus that I hate so much, people are weird and creepy nowadays and I hate being in small enclosed spaces with them, and look at the buildings that we pass by. Hoping that one would pop out at me as being good enough to stay in for the night. The bus driver finished his rounds and looked at me, he was about to tell me that it was time to get off but he didn't need to say anything because as soon as he opened the doors I was on my way out with a quick thank you and goodnight.

I shiver at the sudden coolness of the night and choose a random direction to walk in, looking around me nervously every few seconds hoping that nobody was following me. I've seen enough of those crime shows on television to know what happens to girls when they go off somewhere alone during the nighttime. 

Man, why do I have to be one of those stupid girls?

I graduated at the top of my class and take great pride in my academic skills. But then I have to go and make a classic textbook mistake that I know that I'm going to live to regret.

A door opens and people come out of it, my head snaps in the direction that I hear their voices coming from, and sigh in relief when I notice the building's neon sign says motel. I all but run towards the building, being happier beyond relief that I wouldn't have to be sleeping out on the street tonight.

The people that I heard coming out are smoking joints and laughing at my reaction to finding the motel, normally I would get mad and fuss over their reactions but right now all I care about is being somewhere safe and warm for the night.