Xander and Edgar

I finish changing my shoes into work-appropriate attire for the library when one of the new girls comes back looking around nervously.

"Is everything alright Rebecca?" She turns at the sound of my voice and her face brightens as she hurries to approach me.

"Yeah, there's a girl by the Cabin area wanting to look at the Restricted Section but I know that no one is allowed in there without the specific qualifications so I wanted to find someone else to walk me through this type of situation."

"No worries. I don't start for another half an hour but Edgar should be somewhere in the tax guide section." Rebecca's face falls and I smile shrugging my shoulders. "I know that he's a tough cookie to crack but he's a good guy and can't say no to a pretty face like yours."

Her cheeks brighten, and just like all the other girls I've met, she turns and walks away from me with a spring in her step at the fact that I gave her a simple compliment.

Scrolling through my phone on social media, I'm constantly checking the time until I know that I have to make my way downstairs. Somedays I don't mind working with the public, it gives me plenty of options of girls and women to flirt with, but some days like today I enjoy solitary confinement since the basement has few to nobody down there to bother me.

Until I receive a text message that sends my heart pounding over time, the one that we've been waiting for has finally arrived, along with a blurry photograph that Mavis has purposely ruined to help protect the girl's identity.

I have to admit, she is quite beautiful.

Edgar's name pops on my screen as well. I hit accept and place my phone against my ear. "The package has finally arrived, it'll be downstairs." Is all he says before hanging up.

Wow, what timing that was...

I hurry through the building and work on the safety procedures before being allowed to enter the basement. Somedays it's nice that the library is tight on its historical treasures because it allows me to waste more time before I have to do any sort of work, but on days like today, it was a pain in the ass to have to deal with.

I wanted to see for myself if the one that we've been waiting for is as important, or good looking, as I've been told and shown to believe.

Edgar is standing there, waiting for me not so patiently. "What took you so long?" He seethes.

"I came as soon as I could, both you and Mavis sent me the same thing at the same time," I reply quietly, not wanting us to be overheard but anyone possibly listening in on our conversation.

Edgar's already pale face becomes even paler. "That's not good. That means it's finally time." I nod my head in agreement and Edgar shows me where he last left the package.

I consider her whereabouts as I go through my normal day and responsibilities.

If everyone is right and it's finally time to fulfill our duties then it's even more important for me to act normally and not raise any suspicions. All our lives, Mavis, Edgar, and I have had to be picky on who we trust and when because of the dangerous task that's been passed down to us through the generations. We've never truly known who's been friend or foe so making friends when I was a child was never an option for me. I'm thankful though that I was lucky enough to meet Edgar so early on in life and even though he would never admit it I know that he feels the same way about me as well.

My wrist starts burning and I hiss quietly from pain. Pushing up the sleeve of my shirt I see a red ring forming underneath my gold bracelet and I can feel the blood draining from my face as I put back the artifact that I was glancing through. I race through the many isles and try to find our package as quickly as I can, fearing the worst.