Chapter 1: Surprise at Le Petit François

Memory from the Past
The day was Friday, the last day before graduation. When, we would no longer have lunch in the cafeteria and make jokes, or walk throughout the halls to get to our next classes. Instead, alongside the rest of our peers, wearing our cap and gowns over our outfits, we would be sat in the designated area, till our names were called and it was time to walk across the stage to collect our diploma.

My friend group consists of Alejandro Vargas, John McTavish, and me, Aimee Lavigne. We have known each other since freshman year and have been absolutely inseparable ever since. From going to the mall, to trick or treating during Halloween, and staying up late at night on the phone talking to each other; we spent a lot of time together. And the various moments of cultural exchanges we shared, only helped to make our friendship that much stronger.
Fast forward to the present on a warm spring afternoon, where my dear best friends and I are chilling on a hill underneath a massive oak tree. My soft warm bronze legs laid across Alejandro's lap as he read a book, while my head of thick coily hair rested on the thighs of my Scottish friend. As time had begun to pass, the weight of our future graduation started to affect me a little and I got anxious.

"Wait, what will happen to us after we get that diploma?" I ponder. I know that I'm going to university, and they made the difficult decision to enter the military.

But what about our friendship? How are we going to keep in contact with one another, while we are all in different places of the world?
All these questions were running through my head, and I couldn't keep it to myself any longer. I had to speak up about it and let them know how I felt.

"Hey guys, can I ask you all something?" I inquire.

"Claro ask away, Aimme" Alejandro responds, while sitting up to look at me with his sparkling brown eyes. "You alright lass?" John asked in a concerned voice.

I laugh and nod my curly head, which causes him to relax and sigh with relief."Yeah I'm fine, just wanted to ask a little question. "

"Well what is it?" Alejandro asked.

I take a deep breath and say, "Are we gonna stay best friends? Once we graduate I mean."

After I spoke, there was a moment of silence as they processed everything I just said.

"Of course we're still going to be best friends!"Alejandro exclaimed.

I sighed with relief." Oh thank goodness because I was worried for a moment. "

They both looked at me and said, "Seriously?"

Clearly this was one of the most asinine questions I ever could have asked.

I had them so shocked that they both switched to chastising me in different languages.

"¿Piensas que un diploma nos impediría ser amigos?" Alejandro asked, with a raised eyebrow.

"No mames"

"Ok escucha"

"Yer bum's oot the windae" John says, shaking his head as he crossed his arms.

The two pause for a moment to look at each other, and then burst out laughing.

"I'm so sick of y'all, like truly" I say, as I roll my eyes."Am I really not allowed to be anxious anymore?"

"Nope sorry darling" John answered cheekily.

After we get all that laughter out of our system, I sit up and look on to watch the sun shining brightly in the blue sky, which is full of clouds.

"No matter what happens post graduation, we will always find our way back into each other's lives"Alejandro said confidently.

"Promise?" I ask, in a hushed tone.