4. Winter

The crash of the front door interrupted a dream.

Yoongi, who barely remembered a few bits of light and a peculiar smile that stirred his chest, sat on his bed to listen better. He had experience in anticipating danger. The room, as he had left it the night before, was still full of boxes everywhere, some dirt, and the curtains sealed in the glass of the only window in his bedroom.

"It was the last one, do you hear me?! I'm not going to continue seeing you like this!" His tone sent a shiver down his spine. That voice was incomparable to any other; so rough and arid, it could only have been his father's.

"And what do you care if I behave like a whore? You're the worst of all!" That honeyed tone, dense and disturbed by sharp words, was not difficult to recognize either.

Suddenly, a crash against a table, another bang of a door and something that looked like falling water interrupted the morning scream. Yoongi slightly bent his knees closer to his chest, squinting in case someone suddenly rushed to his safe spot and asked him why he witnessed things that didn't concern him. It happened to him often that he was told that his own family was especially alien to him. He clenched his quilt between his slender fingers and bit his tongue in case another loud scream made him make a sound.

"Open that door, Yeonghui!" Mr. Min's doorbell looked like a drill, trying to make a hole so he could run a thread through all the walls, through all the heads. There was a bang against the door, and then the obvious smashing of a kick. "Bitch!"

Yoongi anticipated the end of the discussion to get out of bed. He knew that after something like that his father was not usually in a good mood, which would eventually lead his merciless eyes to rest on a nearby victim, who many years ago used to be the youngest of all the brothers; that high school boy who was putting on the first thing he found to get out of his rabbit hole.

The light was the first thing that came, then the sight of the dining room table with different dishes with steam. Yoongi walked down the hallway to get closer; He was not surprised when the mountain that was his father appeared in the left corner, still leaning against the door of his half-sister. He swallowed hard when she saw him, not daring to say anything else. He was startled when Mr. Min slammed his fist on the door, his face turned away from his youngest son. He quickened his pace to get to the kitchen and look for an apple.

He walked around the bars as stealthily as he could, believing it would be easy to escape the tension for a moment. That is, until the third door of the house opened.

"What the hell is going on here?" His brother. The screams had woken him from sleep, but he still seemed rested. Of course, he had been resting all his life; so much so that Yoongi sometimes mistook his skin for his pajamas, and his face for a lost pillow. His breath hitched, and he left his hands on the sides of his body to try to appear as still as possible.

His brother, tall as he had always been, faced his father. It was one storm against another.

"Your sister has slept with two men, two! She brought them home like a whore!" Mr. Min spit out the last word and slammed the closed door again. Yoongi frowned; He could already imagine his sister crying on the bed. Yoongi's brother, on the other hand, smirked.

"So what? Did she at least got paid something?"

The father felt like hitting him, Yoongi knew it, just as he also knew that he was the only one he never did anything to Yeongsu. They simply stood looking at each other, until they turned towards the kitchen and saw the weakest link even than the crying girl on the other side of the door.

Yeongsu immediately walked over and pulled his brother away from him to get something out of the cupboard: a package of strawberry glazed cookies, his favorite, and the only thing he worked for part-time. He expertly opened the package and put five at once into his mouth, creating a thick mass that clogged the grooves of his uneven teeth. Yoongi watched him with saliva wetting his lips.