Chapter Thirty Two

"One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it can never be taken away unless it is surrendered."

-Michael J. Fox

...

Fawn's POV

I was in complete and utter shock. This was Tyler's Dad?

"Get the fuck back! Right now! I swear to god. Don't even look at her." Tyler yelled at his father, putting as little distance between us as possible. His body had tensed to form a strong wall of protection for me. I wasn't sure why I needed protection though, did he really hate his father that much?

"Relax son, I'm not here to hurt anyone." His father smirked. "I just thought I would get myself acquainted with your little girlfriend here, Fawn was it?" He snickered, causing Tyler to inhale sharply and yell at him once again. "Give it a rest son." The man sighed, looking bored. "I already told you i'm not here to hurt you. I just wanted to make something clear. May I come inside?"

"No fucking way. " Tyler spat, trying to slam the door shut in his face, but his father was quicker and jammed his foot between the door frame.

"Don't bother fighting me on this Tyler. We don't want things getting nasty do we?" As I peered at the man over Tyler's shoulder I spotted him lifting his jacket slightly. I raised an eyebrow unsure, and that's when I saw it.

Right there, stuck to the waistband of his jeans, was a gun.

"Oh my god." I panicked, gasping and trying to step back. But Tyler didn't even let me move an inch.

"I'm not gonna let him hurt you." He whispered to me, pulling me close. "What do you want?" I almost flinched at the way his tone and posture changed between talking to me and his father.

"I just wanted to make it clear whose in charge here. Couldn't have you getting thoughts in your head about escaping me and this life. You're a part of this Tyler. You always have been and always will be a part of it. " He laughed, dry and hostile. "I thought it was time to remind you of the consequences. Just incase you got cocky. We couldn't have that now, could we?"

Tyler just continued to shake with rage, breathing heavily. I could barely breathe myself, overcome with fear. The man had a gun for crying out loud. I wasn't stupid.

There was a sudden bang, as a brick came hurtling through the window, smashing the glass wall of my living room and landing on my couch. I wanted to scream but I was paralised, watching the home I had so lovingly created be destroyed in front of my own eyes. I flinched as Tyler's dad held an arm up, making his men pause. "That's enough boys." He called. "I think we've made our point."

The men behind him dropped their bricks and made their way back to the dark cars hiding in the shadows a few houses away, driving off into the distance in mere seconds. We were left standing there with Tyler's dad, utterly terrified of what was to come next.

"Nice meeting you bambi. " He waved at me, stepping back from the door frame. Tyler could have easily closed the door, but like me, he was unsure of the consequences it would cause. I could feel him surveying our surroundings, making sure there was no more danger. "I'll be back to see you very soon. As always, it was a pleasure to see you son. You'll hear from me soon. " And then with a wink he was gone, walking off into the shadows. "Bye bambi!"

One of the men at the back passed him on the way out, making me double take. He reminded me of Holden.

Almost immidiately I broke down in sobs, hysterical. I couldn't breathe. Tyler was apologising over and over, trying to get me to look at him. But I sunk to the floor and put my head in my hands, trying not to choke on my tears. "Baby I need you to look at me, please tesoro. I need you to listen to me okay? I've got to get us out of this mess." He shouted, trying to grab my attention. "We've got to go."

"Go?" I mumbled, catching my breath. "What are y-y-y-y-you talking a-about?" I stood up to face him, immidiately being cradled between his arms.

"We have to go someplace else." It was like he was talking through me, not even listening to my thoughts or pausing for breath. "Pack your bags, I want you out of here."

"What?" I cried, brushing the hair out of my eyes and squaring my shoulders. What on earth was he talking about? "We can't j-just leave." He paced in circles around me, clenching his fists so hard his knuckles turned white and shaking his head. It was taking absolutely everything in me to not break down and have a full blown panic attack, but he was scaring me. It had all happened so fast.

I grabbed him as he passed me once more, making him look at me. "Tyler. You n-n-need to tell me e-e-exactly whats going on. Right n-now."

He shook his head and pulled away, curling into himself. "It's all my fault. This is all my fault." He just kept repeating it over and over again. I grabbed his phone, opening it and phoning the first person I could find.

"What's up bro?" Chris answered almost immediately, unaware of the horror we were in. "How's the love life going? Any new developments?" He teased.

"Chris w-w-we need help. Please." I tried to keep my voice firm, putting him on speaker. Tyler barely glanced over from where he was clutching at his hair.

"Fawn? Shit what happened? Do I need to get an ambulance? Is it Tyler? What's going on?" I tried to answer as quickly as I could, but the phone was snatched from my hands instantly.

"It's dad." Tyler swore. "That motherfucker found us. He found Fawn."

"No. Oh god." Chris' voice was soft and full of horror, sounding heartbroken for his brother. He knew what we meant.

"I'm on my way."