Chapter 2

"Are you sure you don't wanna switch?" My glare hardened on the ground and I ignored Naruto's question because I've answered it three times already.

Hanabi didn't wake up before noon, so we were forced to head out and I'm carrying her on my back. Neji and Tenten both offered to carry her, too, but it didn't seem right when she's my sister. I should be the one taking care of her.

Fashioning a sling out of a large scarf, Naruto had the baby against his chest so he only had to use one arm to support him. Hanabi's not that heavy because she's always been on the thinner side, but she's definitely heavier than an infant.

About an hour into traveling, we came upon a bus stop and I motioned for everyone so we could take a short break. After maneuvering my sister off my back to lay on one of the benches, I twisted my torso this way and that so my muscles could breathe for a few moments.

My mind has been racing nonstop since it was decided we're going to go to Inaka Village. Not only am I not sure how my sister's going to react when she wakes up to find that her mother is dead, I'm alive, and we have her baby brother with us, but I'm also about to meet my mother for the first time in over fifteen years.

Stressed isn't a strong enough word.

Tenten took the baby from Naruto, fixing the sling around her with Neji's help.

"Let me carry her for a bit, Hinata." I turned to see the blonde man giving me a pleading look with just a little bit of irritation sprinkled in.

"I said no, Naruto."

He appeared to get more offended, surprising me because up until now he's been completely understanding, "It's not like I'm gonna hurt her!"

My eyes narrowed and I came to face him more fully, "Stop. I don't want to have to have this conversation."

He apparently did, though, because he continued, "I would never hurt her on purpose. You know I only did what I did because your life was on the line and I chose you over her."

Anger rushed through my veins, but so did a bittersweet feeling. It makes sense that he'd choose to save me over Hanabi because he's never even met her, but the fact that he's known since day one that she's the most important person in my life meant that he was only thinking about himself and no one else.

Konohamaru spoke in a soft voice from behind me, "H-Hey you guys..." We ignored him.

I argued, "That's the problem, Naruto! It wasn't your choice to make. It was mine and I made it and you took that away from me!"

Konohamaru spoke again, still sounding hesitant, "Hey, guys seriously."

"I want to be patient and give you time to figure out how you feel, but you're being impossible, Hinata! I did what I did because I love you and if you can't forgive me for that then you're not the person I thought you were."

All anger and rage drained from my body the moment he said the word "love", leaving me staring wide-eyed up at his angry face. I've known since the moment I woke up in that house in Oto and we both cried that we love one another, but it's been an unspoken rule not to say anything, at least yet.

It feels like a jinx, like if we say the words before fixing all the wrong that's going on, our relationship will be doomed. Yet here's Naruto, throwing caution to the wind and declaring his feelings in front of the others, who were likely feeling awkward as they stood a bit away and just watched us argue.

"Hinata?"

My blood ran cold and I turned around swiftly to see Hanabi sitting up with a hand on her head as though it hurt and a look of complete confusion on her face. Tears immediately started to run down my face as I rushed over and hugged her close, ignoring her obvious bewilderment.