5. JUDGING CRITERIA

—♡—

—♡—

PREREQUISITE CRITERIA:

1. Title: /5
How applicable is your title to your story? Is it overused/overdone or original? Is it unrelated or related to the plot?
2. Blurb/Summary: /5
Does your blurb explain what your story is about? Is it too vague or one sentence? Or is it excessively long? Does it relate to your title and the story in any way?
3. Cover: /5
Does the cover relate to the story? Is it visually appealing? Are the 'title' and 'author' readable or nonexistent?

Total: /15

—♡—

GRAMMAR & STRUCTURE CRITERIA:

1. Grammar and Punctuation: /10
Is the grammar generally good? Is the story readable or unreadable due to its grammar? Are the grammatical choices consistent?
2. Spelling and Readability: /10
Are there many spelling mistakes? Do the spelling mistakes make the story hard to understand? Is it readable?
3. Sentence and Paragraph Structure: /5
Are there many improper sentences (run-ons, unfinished, etc.) that aren't stylistic choices? Is there sentence length variety? Are the paragraphs generally impossibly long or short? Are paragraphs appropriately broken up?
4. Vocabulary Variety: /5
Does the author use a variety of vocabulary words? Or are they limited to using vague vocabulary. Does the vocabulary help to liven or dull the story? Are words appropriately used?
5. Dialogue: /5
Are dialogue tags appropriately used? Does the dialogue flow well or is it awkward? Is the dialogue said appropriate for a character's age, experience, etc.? Does the author overuse or underuse dialogue?

Total: /35

—♡—

STORY-SPECIFIC CRITERIA:

1. Plot: /10
Is the plot clear within the first few chapters? Is the plot consistent (but NOT predictable)? Does it inappropriately use drama for shock-value or is it relevant to the plot?
2. Characters: /5
Are the characters easily distinguishable from one another? Does the author fall into the 'Gary Stu & Mary Sue' stereotypes with the protagonist? Are characters consistent with behavior? Do they make sense?
3. Character Development: /10
Do the characters grow and change over time if needed? Is character development appropriate and understandable (whether that be character growth or regression)?
4. Writing Style: /10
Does this author have their own, unique, writing style? Is it easy to understand? Does the writing style hinder the story's quality or not?
5. Protagonist: /5
Is the protagonist worth rooting for? Do they have specific goals? Are they a 'Mary Sue' or 'Gary Stu'? If the protagonist has antagonistic traits (or ends up being the 'bad guy'), are they well thought out and consistent?

Total: /40

—♡—

GUIDELINES/RULES CRITERIA:

1. Following the Rules: /5
Did the author follow ALL of the rules? Are they currently following TheKFicAwards ? Did they add the awards to a reading list, shout-out, etc.?
2. Category Relevancy: /5
Is the category that the author is a participant in relevant to their story? (For example: if you applied to Comedy/Humor and your story is Horror/Thriller, you would lose 5 points).

Total: /10

—♡—

OVERALL TOTAL: /100
(If you win in the top 3 or are a runner-up,
Admin-Judges will each leave one grow and
one glow!)