Prologue

Today's the day! Hired to the brand-new Royal Expedition Board of Crystia. I'm...not that excited. Oh boy, running errands for the pompous royals up top, nevermind how weird the whole thing sounds. I only applied for the promised high and steady pay, a much safer bet than the unguaranteed pay of normal questing. But hey, I got it, I guess! Maybe I can finally buy some lighter equipment for summer.

I've worked as an errand girl-I mean adventurer my whole life. Hopping from place to place, seeing what people are either incapable of or too lazy to do themselves. It's surprisingly steady money, though I know I'll never reach the status of the Hyancith Royals. No one really knows how they got all that money-not that we care, it got us out of a recession.

But that's besides the point. First, I've gotta go through the employee initiation junk, housed within the meeting room of the Hyancith palace. I was about to walk there (I live right next to the border between my town and the capital) , but then I heard the clopping of horse hooves......that stopped at my door.

I stepped outside and was shocked to see a beautiful carriage covered in gold and jewels, with two strong white horses stationed at the front.

"Uh, hello, sir."

The coachman wore fabrics that cost more than the carriage. They also seemed a bit stiff, but maybe that's just how rich people clothes are. "Greetings, ma'am. Are you Ms. Khali Hemsworth?"

"That's me, yeah. Why do you ask?"

"Today's your initiation, were you not notified?"

Yeah, turns out the royal carriage service gets sent to transport newbies. The same carriage service used by the Hyanciths themselves. This position is a bigger deal than I thought. At least I won't have to walk.