Talk of the Town

Geez, this thing's even fancier inside! I stared at the embroidery on the curtains and tried to get comfortable on the rigid cushions. I'm the richest adventurer in this area, but even I'm not used to this (I can barely afford a dagger, so I'm stuck lugging around my sword).

The carriage rode through the front gates, which were encrusted with shimmering jewels. I think I'm starting to notice a pattern here. "We've arrived."

"Thanks!" I hopped out, but hesitated for a split second before walking away. The sheer scale of the castle was even more breathtaking up close, nevermind how every square inch of the place sparkled like it was just cleaned (to be honest, it probably was). These Hyancith folk could never blend in with the lower classes.

But admiring generational wealth can wait. I've got an initiation to attend!

When I entered the front courtyard, a member of palace staff approached me. I was escorted into a waiting room with a few other new hires, talking among themselves.

They spoke about a lady named Christina Jones, who they kept gossiping about. A niece of the king living halfway across the continent, she was called here to serve on the Royal Expeditions Board. She was apparently cared for by the palace staff for about a week before this initiation. The aforementioned gossipers said she was beautiful several times. From the way they talked about her, she seemed nice enough.

Then she walked in.
Christina wasn't "nice enough".

Christina wasn't nice at all.

You could tell she was royalty (well, almost royalty), with her long flowing hair and skin clearer than glass. Her outfit, while still clearly for traveling, had the impracticality and frivolousness only rich people clothes can have. I mean, come on, her poofy dark blue blouse didn't even cover her arms!

People gasped and happily greeted her as she came in. She probably thought she was alllll that. "Look at me, I'm prettier and wealthier than you, bow before me". Ugh, I just hate her stupid smile! Just like the rest of those damn higher-ups-

"Hi!"

I froze. I wasn't expecting her of all people to talk to me! I tried to say something back, but I couldn't even move. By the time I was able to talk again, she had already walked past me. I glared at her as a crowd formed. Stupid, rich princess. "I just despise everything about her!", I thought, as I rubbed my face to stop the angry blushing.