27. We Got Nothing Figured Out

"Hey, when are we going to find my White Knights?" I ask a little impatiently. "I mean, this is kinda taking forever, don't you think?" I give Vyndren a look as we continue hiking as the sky around us lightens with its typical "daylight."

"It's been barely two days." He huffs. "You'd think you'd be thrilled for a break away from them."

"But I have so much stuff to do and only in like, fifteen days!" I exclaim. "And the Court wants me back in three days! I can't be out here playing around!"

He scoffs. "Trust me, we haven't been playing around."

"Then why haven't we found the guys yet? If you really wanted to, you would've found them by now!" I insist.

"Oh yeah?" He challenges.

"Yeah!" I exclaim. "You made such a big deal about getting me to Court on time before, but now that I want to get there it's a different story. Why? Why are you dragging this out?"

"I'm not...dragging anything out," he says finally. "Just don't worry about it."

"I am worried about it! It's like you don't even care that I have things demanding my attention!"

He shoots me a glare. "I do care what demands your attention. I just..." He trails off softly and looks away.

I huff and shake my head. "You know what? If this is too much of an inconvenience for you, I'll find my Knights myself," I march pass him. "Oh!" I suddenly remember. "Right after I collect my venom from you!"

"Venom?" He arches an eyebrow like he can't believe I just said that. "Venom?" He repeats with frustration. "That's the only thing you care about anymore, isn't it? My kluppin' venom. Fine. That makes sense. Glad I'm still useful. If I wasn't than I guess I'd never see you again, right?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" I shake my head. "Of course this is about your venom! I wouldn't be out here in the middle of Ghost Hills hunting for a Vampire if you hadn't of poisoned me in the first place!"

He flinches.

I swallow hard. "Vyndren...I'm sorry. I just -"

"You don't have to apologize to me," he snaps. "I'm just some loathsome Vampire apparently that needs to be hunted for kluppin' venom. But that's fine. It's just fine." He growls.

"I didn't mean to say hunt or whatever!" I insist. "I'm just a little pissed off that you aren't taking my deadline seriously! You certainly did before! In fact before you couldn't wait to get rid of me and you're the one that told me we'd never see each other again!"

"What the hell else was I supposed to say? I'm the Blood Prince and you're the Alice, remember?! We aren't exactly meant to -" he cuts himself off and exhales with frustration, angrily raking a hand through his hair. "Whatever. I'm sorry," he says dryly. "Trust me, I'll find your precious White Knights for you before the end of the day and you can be rid of me once more," he snarls quietly and strikes off.

"Vyndren!" I hurry after him. "Wait, let me talk to you!" I jump in front of him. He stops with a huff and crosses his arms.

"Don't bother. I know how it is."

"I don't think you do!" I force myself to take a deep breath and try to carry on calmly. "Look, I know who you are just like you know who I am, yeah we're the Alice and the Blood Prince but that doesn't...doesn't change the way we feel about each other. I did miss you." I put my hand on his chest, he briefly glances at it before meeting my eyes again. "I'm sorry that it took me getting poisoned to bring me out here to see you again but I didn't forget about you. I never could and I never will. I'm not just...using you."

He scoffs and shakes his head, pulling away from me.

"I'm not!" I insist. "I missed you like hell, but I honestly didn't think you felt the same!"

"Proves how well you really know me then," he brushes pass me.

"What is wrong with you?" I furiously demand. "I can't understand you!" I hurry after him again. "You'd think you'd be delighted to get rid of me again! You certainly had no problem saying good-bye before!"

"And you thought that wasn't hard for me?" He challenges.

"Yeah!" He stops to stare at me. "I'd say it was pretty easy for you! I'm only surprised you aren't trying harder to get rid of me this time!"

"I've missed you!" Vyndren suddenly exclaims.

I widen my eyes in surprise.

He looks away with a painful sigh. "I...I know I shouldn't be able to since I sold my soul and everything," he says softly a moment later. "But I... I did miss you. Adara. I missed you like crazy. And when I sensed you here in the Hills?" He shakes his head. "I thought I finally lost my mind. I told myself there was no way it was really you... You say you've been haunted by me in your dreams, but I've been haunted by you every second since I saw you last."

I can't believe it, I think with disbelief. I can't believe I really mean something to someone. I can't believe I really mean so much to him. I feel tears spring to my eyes.

"I really did...miss you, Adara," he briefly looks me over. "I suppose it still seems too good to be true that you're back. And I don't want to lose you... Not again. Not after I've already lost everything."

"Vyndren -"

"It doesn't matter though, so let's just keep going," he disappears into the shadow.